Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk hunters, do you use scents or calls. >

Elk hunters, do you use scents or calls.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunters, do you use scents or calls.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:15 PM

Default Elk hunters, do you use scents or calls.

I am looking for those of you who use elk scent, do you like the scent wafers or using cotton in film canisters, or wick canisters and why? How many of you don' t use any scent and why? Do any use cow calls, or bugle for bulls? Let me know your thoughts on this. These remarks are being used for a book and outdoor show, thanks for your help..

Dr. Mike
Old 10-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunters, do you use scents or calls.

I mostly rifle hunt in the fall to mid winter.I use H.S.cents fresh earth w/ oder nutralizer also fresh pine waffers and oil with elk urine on my boots.I use a cow call,to cover my own sounds as I move through trees.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use HS Products also.

I use Abe & Son Grunt tube, and Sceery ACE-1 cow call.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not use scents but I do use a bugle and cow call during the rut.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:27 PM

I have bow hunted for elk for 20 years. I hunted public land for 12 years in Oregan and the past 8 year public land in Colorado.

I have alway believed in keeping clean and using a cover scent, normally elk urine. Most of the elk scents do not smell like elk. This year I tried another elk scent that really smelled like elk. The name on the bottle was ELK WIZZ and the other product by the same place is caled ELK GEL. You can' t fool and elk' s nose but maybe get and extra second op two or one more step in to the shooting lane. The one problem with using elk scent is you can' t smell elk when you get close and down wind because your used to smelling them all the time because your wearing it.

I have used calls and have had secess with them. Bugles, cow calls, glunking, fighting cow calls and other high pitched cow calls all work when used properly.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes I will spray down some scent, especially in bow season. I also believe in scent elimination and scent control for all hunting regardless of the weapon.

I use calls for elk both bugles and cow calling. In a variety of forms; reed, diaphram, hoochie mamma and bugle tube. Not only does it work for the rut but it works well to calm them after you put a hit on one and found it will minimize the travel after the shot of the elk.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:40 AM

i use just about every scent elimination product available really believe this is the first step to a successful bow or even gun hunt. Use an earth cover scent on all my clothing. use a skunk or red fox cover scent on my rubber boots. usally sprinkle a little beside my stand also. big fan of the wildfire elk lure usually i spray that on some twigs on each side of my stand as well as leave the bottle open about 20 yards away. my buddy also uses the wildfire scent and he has had a cow come in and pick up the bottle in her mouth and throw it upon herself. now for the calls use a power bugle with a high pitch band to imitate a spike or a younger bull. purchased a hootchie mama this year and i claim its the best thing since sliced bread. maybe you don' t need all this junk to get your elk but i believe it has worked for me.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:54 PM

I took a decent 5x5 a few weeks ago with the front stuffer. I used the Primos single cow call and the cow talk call. Two totally different sounds to mix it up a bit. Also used the small Primos bugle and that' s what he came in to. Also had the wildfire scent out on a scent wick and he came within 20 yards of it. At about that time he had a .50 caliber slug tipping him over. :-)
Old 10-13-2003, 07:50 PM

We use(Primos) Hy-per Lip single,Hootchie-Mama,Hyper-lip Bugleand an Ivory plate for stopping.We use scent killer laundry detergent.shampoo,bar soap. I keep all my camo clothes,hats,gloves, belts, backpacks,fannypacks,bino suspenders,Bow sling in a sealable plastic tub.I place an HS dirt scent wafer on the inside bottom of the lid with tape.I change it every couple of days.My partner was 12 yards up wind of a spike this season and was not detected!!!!!!He also called a 5 point Bull in at 20 yards and was not detected.We did not use a cover scent at all.We both tagged out!!!!!!!! It Works