Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Combo Hunts?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Combo Hunts?

What's your opinion on trying to go after 2 quality animals on the same hunt?

I was thinking about trying to do an elk/mule deer hunt in 2014 possibly, but then I began thinking, I'd rather take 1 quality animal vs. 2 smaller, or none.

Also where can a guy take a good elk and good mule deer on the same hunt? From my research it feels to me like you tend to hunt good elk areas or good mule deer areas but not both in one, I'm sure there are some exceptions, and I was talking public land, I suppose private land may provide both, but then were talking $$$ I would think.

Maybe I'll just put in for a quality mule deer unit and a quality elk unit and perhaps I'll get both? If I had to pick just 1, I'd like to get a nice elk, 6x6 300"+

I was strongly considering a NM elk hunt, and/or CO mule deer hunt(probably a 2nd choice unit though).
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's not practical to hunt them together. You can hunt half the hunt for one, and the other half for the other.

Next year I plan on hunting bear and elk together, but the bear hunt is a month long in Sept, and the elk hunt is right in the middle of the month. When i'm hunting elk, I won't really be hunting for bear. Unless I get an elk, and then i'll be keeping my eye on the gut pile for bear.

Deer will be in Oct. I would never hunt deer and elk together.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with Muley. To plan a hunt wanting to get 2 really good animals of different species is kind of a fool's errand. Often the better areas for 1 won't be good for the other. Or the best seasons may not overlap. In CO for instance, Unit 2 has some of the biggest bulls and bucks in the state. But the only season you can take a bull in with a rifle is the early season and you can't hunt deer during that season. Besides it take 20+ preference points to draw the elk tag and if I had it I wouldn't even glance at a deer. Also, the best time for elk is during the bugling season in Sept, but the best time for really good mulies is during the rut in Nov.

I'm not saying that people don't pull off both a good elk and a good mulie on the same hunt. It happens every season, but I wouldn't go on a hunt expecting it.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I would have to agree with both Muley and Flags. I would for sure get both tags if available. You never know if you will encounter both species and have them be a quality animal. But not having the tag in your pocket would be a sad day. 300+ bull elk is still trophy in my book any day. If I was on a hunt and killed a 300+ bull and a 24+ inch muley I would consider myself a blessed man. Especially in 5 to 9 day hunts.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of money for a tag based on a maybe. Better to get separate tags, and hunt them as they should be hunted.