Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Down and Out!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Down and Out!

Well another long weekend climbing up and down mountains. Looking for any legal bull. I really feel some hunters just aren't meant to shoot elk. I haven't even seen a bull this year with in shooting distance. I've hunted all bow season, and now 6 days since opener.

I would like to say it's cause I'm not hunting the right areas or too loud. Something to pin my hat on. The last two nights I've followed trucks off the mountain with bulls. So I was definately in the right area. Definately not being too loud. We had fresh snow. I finally cut some fresh tracks sun morn. Didn't even get a chance to make a game plan, and bang bang yell cheer. Kid shot one of the bulls 5X6. I was happy for him of course. Always happy when someone gets something.

You know whats funny. I've stalked within 40 yds of 4 different bull moose in the last 2 weekends. What are the chances of this. MT has an estimated population of 150,000 elk, and 5,000 moose. So I can sneak up too whats suppose to be a ghost of montana with only 5,000 in the state, but I can't seem to find an animal thats suppose to be everywhere. One moose was at least 45 in wide. A real monster for a shiras.

I'm just tired. All the gas money, back pain, sweat and blood for nothing. Sorry for the rant. Just need to let off some steam.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, sometimes it's an awful lot of work just to come up empty. Those seasons, I find myself focusing on the prospect that I could be back behind my desk at the office, and ultimately celebrating that for a few glorious days I am able to enjoy mountain air, the smell of spruce, fir, and pine, and forget about the rest of the world and its rat race for awhile.

There's no such thing in my book as an "unsuccessful" hunt.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very true it is the little things that count.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Well if it was easy everyone would be doing it..........................it's hunting ya ain't gonna get a animal every time otherwise it would be called killing!!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deernutz

I'm just tired. All the gas money, back pain, sweat and blood for nothing.
Right there is the problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Right there is the problem.
Yep.

I totally disagree with his definition of nothing.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

years ago, we had a string of bad luck during bear season, I'd turn the dogs loose and stay with them one day I was behind a pack of running dogs for 23 miles, when I caught the last one off the track just before dark came off the mountain, an older member of out party picked me up and I to was disgusted with the results was basicly ranting and threw it out there that my feet were just as sore as the dogs's, he said ya know, in all of history they never gave a bear hunter disability because of sore feet, I felt fortunate, had been a better day than I thought, had saw a lot of country, got to hear one helluva bear chase!
RR
Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand the response. The for nothing can be taken several ways. I for one do love just being out there. I enjoy watching the sun rise and set. Sitting next to a stream. If you knew me you would know it was not meant to be taken so litterally.

I do outdoor photography for a hobbie. So it's not taken for granted.

Ya know maybe I just suck at elk hunting, and I can live with that. I know practice makes perfect. I'm realatively new to elk hunting. 3rd year now. So I guess I need to take my lumps.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, you took your lumps ok. Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes awhile to figure out where elk will be.

On a positive note. You got close to moose.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was really cool. I was sneaking across a saddle, and saw a big brown body. My heart skips a beat thinking it was an elk, but when I raised the binos it was a huge moose. I took my time and got within 40yds and just watched him for 25 min. It's really amazing just how big a mature bull moose really is. I hope some day to draw a tag. I was just cool to be that close and be able to watch him.

Yeah I guess I'm a little hard on myself. I'm a die hard whitetail hunter that trys to elk hunt. I think I'm burning myself out though. So this Sat I'm headed back up the mountain to a spot I saw lots of tracks and just park my rear end down for 5 hrs and let the other hunters do the work for me. Then take sun off from hunting and set a small trap line for mink. Hows your season been Muley?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.