Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.338 Win Mag for elk

Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Muley is clearly one of our senior members and I not only agree with his opinion on this topic I respect the wisdom behind it. ( I wasn't big enough to use a 94 Winchester till about 1970 )

I grew up around good hunters who used 30/30s on everything and wouldn't have used magnums even if they could have afforded them.

I like my 7 Mag but the truth is that probably 95 percent of the game I've killed I could have killed with my Dad's 30/30.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
is there something else you'd recommend that I should see how it shoots out of my rifle?
I don't have any experience with the Fusion, but have shot elk with the Accubond. The Accubond is a very good bullet. I believe Winchester loads the Accubond 225 in .338 WM.

I have actually shot several elk with a .338 WM. It will do the job in all conditions. Good choice.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a light load for the 338 with the Hornady 200 grain that would stack them in one ragged hole. The group opened up until I got them loaded warm. It then tightened up again. The 225's wouldn't shoot until loaded warm as well. With the 250 grain Hornady, it was a hot load that shined. The 275 grain Speers also had to be loaded warm before they tightened up. I tried the fusions in the 2506 and didn't like their performance on whitetail and mule deer at all. Bullets failed. They killed them, but the bullets came apart.Trajectory wise, the 338 is like shooting a big 30 06. There is nothing on this continent that you would be under gunned for with one. Recoil can be real nasty with some of the 338's. IMO the best bullets for the 338 are the Nosler partition and the Speer grandslam. I never had a Hornady fail either, but the fusions are definately not on my like list.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Worth reading;

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/rifle.html

Still, only one man's opinion !