Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Deer hunting in CO GMU 61

Old 07-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Spike

Default Deer hunting in CO GMU 61

My dad drew a second season rifle bull tag for 61. This is his second chance after hitting a big bull 8 years ago right at last light that we never recovered. Our hunt this year has one goal, and that is to get him a big bull he has hunted his life for. As long as that happens I am a happy camper. However, I also have a buck deer tag, 5 points I burned just so I can carry a gun and say I got to hunt with him. If/when he tags that bruiser bull, does anyone have any advice for where to find the monster muleys that I've heard reside there? Thanks for any and all help!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look far from the Divide Road. Perhaps toward the Northern end in steep areas.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Spike

Cool, thanks! We will have to see where the elk hunt takes us. My dad has a friend who guides in the area that put him in some good places the last time he was there, and he says there are big deer there too, just not a huge number of them.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wildman21
My dad drew a second season rifle bull tag for 61. This is his second chance after hitting a big bull 8 years ago right at last light that we never recovered. Our hunt this year has one goal, and that is to get him a big bull he has hunted his life for. As long as that happens I am a happy camper. However, I also have a buck deer tag, 5 points I burned just so I can carry a gun and say I got to hunt with him. If/when he tags that bruiser bull, does anyone have any advice for where to find the monster muleys that I've heard reside there? Thanks for any and all help!
Try the country on the Blue Mesa, Atchinson Mesa and Hanks Valley
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Spike

Sweet, thanks! I will start looking those over on the map!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wildman21
Cool, thanks! We will have to see where the elk hunt takes us. My dad has a friend who guides in the area that put him in some good places the last time he was there, and he says there are big deer there too, just not a huge number of them.
Doesn't that answer your question?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Spike

Well, I meant he put him in good spots for elk. When my dad was there 8 years ago they got into elk, but I don't remember him saying they even saw a single nice buck. So I was just looking for some areas that were more likely deer areas.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe I misunderstood. It sounds like you said the area he told your dad had elk and big deer.

That would make it simple for you both to hunt the same spot.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Spike

Yeah, I realize that wasn't the best written sentence. What I meant is he put my dad into good elk areas, and says 61 in general has some big bucks, but since my dad didn't have a deer license the first time he didn't really go into details about where those bucks might be.