Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I drew a Non-Resident Utah Moose tag! >

I drew a Non-Resident Utah Moose tag!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I drew a Non-Resident Utah Moose tag!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Spike

Default I drew a Non-Resident Utah Moose tag!

I drew a moose tag this year and will be hunting Northeast Utah in late September or early October. I haven't nailed down exact dates just yet.

I am doing as much research and what not as possible. It's not my first big game hunt by any means but it is my first Moose hunt.

I have some questions that I'm hoping I can get some experiential advice on. Any help is appreciated:

1. What sort of weather can I expect? Wet? Snow?

2. I'm planning on taking my .300 Weatherby with 180 gr Barnes X. From what I've read, that's more than enough gun but I might perhaps benefit from using a even heavier-for-caliber bullet. Also, the shots tend to be close correct? My rifle is sighted ~1.5" high at 100 which I can't really see a reason to change for this.

3. I expect we'll be riding into the backcountry so I'm taking some horseback lessons just to get comfortable again. I haven't ridden in a couple years.

4. I need some help in understanding trophy judgement and what constitutes a trophy Shiras moose. In my mind I think of Alaskan Moose when I think "Moose" and I know I shouldn't expect that...

5. Any special equipment I should consider?

Thanks!

Marcus
Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Moose are huge but they aren't tough. Your rifle and ammo combo is more than enough. Bring lots of rope and come-a-longs for field dressing. They're a chore to cut up. If you don't already know how to filet out big game without gutting, then learn how. There's no point gutting an animal you'll almost certainly need to quarter. The DVD Love, Thunder, & Bull 2 is a great resource for learning moose vocalizations. The bull magnet is a great moose call.

Good luck,

Jeff
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Spike

Thanks.

I've participated in filleting without gutting but can't say I know exactly how to do it.

I will be going with a guide service so that should be a big help on the post-shot portion of this adventure.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by THellURider
Thanks.

I've participated in filleting without gutting but can't say I know exactly how to do it.

I will be going with a guide service so that should be a big help on the post-shot portion of this adventure.
Project Bloodtrail explains it and other meat care issues.

http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...d-library.html

Even if you're going with a guide service it's good to be well versed. It'd be a shame to ruin a bunch of good moose meat because you end up with a greenhorn guide.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where at in Utah? I moved to Salt Lake City a few years ago and have seen a few Moose out elk hunting or driving around. Are you getting a guide?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Where at in Utah? I moved to Salt Lake City a few years ago and have seen a few Moose out elk hunting or driving around. Are you getting a guide?
The wasatch mountains, unit 6011.

Ya definitely using a guide.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by THellURider
The wasatch mountains, unit 6011.

Ya definitely using a guide.
Nice....good luck. It is a steep and rugged mo'fo.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome tag to draw. Be sure to take lots of pictures and post them after the hunt!
-Jake