Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Info on first elk hunt

Old 09-25-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Info on first elk hunt

I have drawn an elk tag this year for the first time. Although I have seen alot of great info in here, I have a dilemna. I drew a cow tag and all the info I have seen in here is for big bulls. What kind of advice can you share to help me in my hunt. I know that we are always out to get the trophy animal, but in my first hunt I am looking for the experience and meat for the table. Then I would like to look for my trophy but do it with Bow(I have a rifle license for this hunt)

Thanks
Old 09-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Info on first elk hunt

Welcome 30 point buck,
Yes we are all in search of the Big Un,nothing I' d like more than taking a big bull.

Well to help you out what state do you have your tag,late, early or mid season.
What dose the area look like,is there lots of water and feed.
Put a little more in to the equastion and I' m sure we all will help you out.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:29 PM

30 point buck:

Congratulations on the first draw. Not to worry though the advice here from these folks is great. Give up a little more info like BBJ says and info will load the page.

The basics are the same as far as food/water/cover for bulls/cows. Depending on the whens and wheres of your hunt you may be more likely to see cows that bulls if they are solitary. Get yourself a good cow call and a tape on what it sounds like and learn a few variations - like lost cow or a calf.

write back with more info - and these seasoned vets on this board will be of great help
Old 09-25-2003, 03:29 PM

South Dakota Black Hills starts on Oct 1. I am going out this weekend to scout, I have been told of a few areas to try. I plan on hunting from Wed to Sat nite
Old 09-25-2003, 03:31 PM

I bought a cow call and feel pretty confident with it
Old 09-25-2003, 03:40 PM

then you should be fine. Just get the hiking legs limbered up. good luck to you.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome,thrtypntbck
The black hills are nice.Have seen a few elk while passing through on a couple of trips this year.I have family in Sturgis ,Lead -Deadwood... etc. While the Black Hills are not the Rocky Mntns. You will need to have yourself in shape.I can' t stress that enough!!!!I have generally found that if you don' t find elk in numbers......That you will find cows usually in pairs(2) and that if you can find a meadow (even a small one) between tracts of trees(cover) early in the morning... You could be onto something. I have also found that cows.. in particular will venture towards water especially LATE (last shooting light) in the day.
Took cows last year and last week in just such a meadow and took a cow two years ago drinking at a small pond around last shooting light and have seen many more in the same type of situations many other times.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:00 PM

Thanks for everyone' s help.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt elk in here in Montana,so thing might be a little diffrent but it should be about the same.

The one thing I like to find is the seclusion cover(this were the elk go to hide)I usaly lookfor the timbered saddles and draws where elk like to hang in mid day between water and food.

The next I look for is their escape routes,these tend to lead up and away when elk get pressured or shot at they tend to do the up,up and away thing in to the next state.

Then the last I look for good grazing and water.Elk also like aspens and the like they seem to hang around that till the weather gets cold or pressure makes them leave.

If you find all three of these things in a area you will find elk not to far away.
Elk usaly hang in groups it' s rare to find just 1 cow after the rut they hang in groups that consit of 3-5 cows and calves they generaly don' t bunch upuntil the snow flies and then the groups go can grow 10 to 100 head.
Hopes this helps some.BBJ