Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunt info

Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Elk hunt info

me and my dad are thinking of going on an elk hunt....what would be a good state and what all equpiment would we need?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:58 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk hunt info

How will you be hunting? We have a checklist on our website. If you send me an area in CO I will send you the detailed information on the unit.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM

Colorado statistically has more elk than eny other state. And it is easier to get a license 'cause you can buy over the counter. Here in Wyoming, the non-resident drawing deadline was Jan 31st. The only way to get a license here is to put in for the "left over" permits. So at this late date, probably Colorado. Not sure what other elk states sell licenses over the counter. Maybe parts of Montana or Idaho.

Equiptment? Too big a subject without more info. Starting with the esentials . . . fod and lodging. Camper and coolers, or motel and restaurants? Archery, black powder, or rifle? Whichever it is, use the weapon you have maximum confidence in. As RMA says, check out other posts with equipment list and suggestions.

I always recommend getting good maps and studying the area(s) you plan to go to. Know it before you get there. Try and time your hunt so you get at least a couple days to scout and get familiar with area. And most of all, practice shooting out past 200 yards +!! Then put a few in paper after you get to your hunt area!! Very important. Weird **** can happen when a rifle travels. Regardless of the care taken. Even the altitude/air density/terrain factor will throw your shots off from where they were at home just days before. I've seen guys miss trophys because of this!!

Good luck . . . good hunting.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 AM

Check out my website at drhuntingadventures.com I have two elk hunts one is in Colorado and the outfitter had a 100% shooting opportunity in 2006. The other one is in Montana and has a 98% success rate the last four years 300" or better bulls with a rifle, 75% with a bow. Give me a call at (717)979-6045 or drop me an email through my website. I still have opening for the best week when a lot of the big bulls leave the park.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

try Montana.

Here's all the info anyone/everyone new to high country huntingneeds:

http://members.tripod.com/~elkhunter2/

Old 03-02-2007, 04:25 PM

don't overlook wy. The first draw is over but there are leftover tags for other areas. I am a new outfitter/rancher and we never sell all the tags in our area 125. I am looking for hunters if interested in a guided hunt.pm me