Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Boycott Colorado Hunting!!! >

Boycott Colorado Hunting!!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Boycott Colorado Hunting!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Both these reports are straight from the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife. So pretty much facts in regards to hunting in Colorado and the new bills put in place. Happy hunting.
Facts? Interpretations and "presumption" possibly, but in most states the Game and Fish/DNR isn't the department charged with deciding how laws will be enforced. Find the statement "...this is not legal advice, but rather a summary of facts related to HB 1224 as we understand them..." Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?

Let's just say that things are sufficiently "gray" that nonresidents SHOULD have some concerns over how these laws will be interpreted and enforced in Colorado. Heck, residents should have concerns too. CDOW is wise to get in on the front end. However, given the rancor about certain elected LEOs in Colorado and their attitudes toward (non) enforcement, if the AG takes a hard line, CDOW will no doubt be forced to follow as a state agency, regardless of how they may view the laws as individuals or any "presumption" they may have had at one time.

I trust that you're writing Governor Hickenlooper to confirm CDOW's assessment? That you've asked him to provide guidance to the AG supporting CDOW's "presumption"? That you're writing the AG? That you're writing your Representative? You have an awful lot at stake here.

Of course, James Holmes wouldn't have shown up on a background check, he didn't borrow any guns, and law enforcement really had no cause to investigate him otherwise to find that he had a "high-capacity magazine" - so Aurora would have proceeded even without these new restrictions. But that's a topic for another section of the forum.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

Well lets just say that an Organization like the Colorado Parks and Wildlife have a lot more "facts" or information than the ones being spouted off on here.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Orion/CO
Like it or not, hunters and firearms owners are a minority within the overall population. Add that to a bipartisan political system which dictates the current flavor of legislative actions brings us to where we are today. As has already been mentioned, this is just another whack in the chipping away of our way life. We have already lost our spring bear hunt and use of leg-hold traps through the popular vote process. And now the current legislature is taking away the ability for us to purchase "high capacity magazines" and the ability for us to conduct our own sale of firearms to other individuals through a private transaction. Unfortunately, the majority of the general public (who does not hunt or own firearms) sees these measures as being "good" for society, and if these issues were to have come to a popular vote would have most likely had the same outcome. What's next? I think a restriction on lead bullets is slowly coming to a head (leading the way in California of course). A revival of the nation-wide "assualt weapon" ban is currently being shot down, but once the political winds switch to a different direction, it could easily raise it's ugly head. I do not forsee the registration of all firearms or the outright submission and destruction of firearms (thank God for the 2nd Amendment, which the lack thereof caused those things to happen in the UK and Australia), but once again who knows what lays ahead in the world of politics, and just like everything else, it only takes one *** to *** it up for rest of us (e.g., Columbine, Aurora, Sandy Hook...). The bottom line, in my opinion, is to stay active and keep getting your voice heard. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so even though bipartisan politics may have the upper hand right now, eventually the tides will turn and hopefully we will see these vague and "knee-jerk" laws overturned.. or at least brought back to common sense.
We may not be the minority as much as some think. The US population is about 314 million. The FBI estimates the guns in the US at 350 million.

Granted that a gun owner may have more than one gun. However, the population number is not how many vote either.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Well lets just say that an Organization like the Colorado Parks and Wildlife have a lot more "facts" or information than the ones being spouted off on here.
All the facts you need, right here:

"...this is not legal advice, but rather a summary of facts related to HB 1224 as we understand them..."

Caveat emptor
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM
Spike

I didn't read all the posts here but for me it's the fact I don't want to be in the woods with people who are stoned and have guns. We ran into 3 or 4 people hunting last year who were smoking weed. Two of them were stoned off their @$$
You people in Colorado need to get a handle on your liberals and ship them back to California where they belong. They definately don't belong in an elected office. I love Colorado but it's so hard to find a place to hunt thats not overhunted and not we have to try to find someplace thats hippie free
Old 03-31-2013, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by westernelkhunter
I didn't read all the posts here but for me it's the fact I don't want to be in the woods with people who are stoned and have guns. We ran into 3 or 4 people hunting last year who were smoking weed. Two of them were stoned off their @$$
You people in Colorado need to get a handle on your liberals and ship them back to California where they belong. They definately don't belong in an elected office. I love Colorado but it's so hard to find a place to hunt thats not overhunted and not we have to try to find someplace thats hippie free
I see none of that, and i'm lucky to see 1 or 2 hunters when i'm hunting, and I hunt on nothing but public land.

It's a matter of knowing where to go, and not hunting where it's easy.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure some of you are aware of where the money from hunting/fishing licenses goes? None of it goes to the state. 100% of the money goes to the DOW.

So, a boycott just hurts all other hunters. Is that what you had in mind?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I see none of that, and i'm lucky to see 1 or 2 hunters when i'm hunting, and I hunt on nothing but public land.

It's a matter of knowing where to go, and not hunting where it's easy.
I agree. My Colorado hunting over the past 7 years has been a mix of private and public lands and I can't say I ever saw crowds or stoned hunters. Most hunters I did run into were just like me willing to get out and away from the roads trying to hunt elk. A boycott really just costs the hunter doing it since he won't be hunting in such a beautiful state with great people and an abundance of wild big game.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Westernelkhunter,

Can I ask? What did you do about the stoned hunters? If they were such a threat to you , others, and themselves, did you do anything to report them-anything? I would like to Know. Perhaps some turn a blind eye too often? Laws are pretty clear with regard to hunting under the influence of a controlled substance-it is illegal. I take this seriously. I would not have allow such an event to continue. If we do not facilitate the policing of our own, then aren't we part of the problem?

A few munchies from the backpack, a group photo, exchange phone numbers...how much more evident would one need? Law enforcement takes it from there.....

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 03-31-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

The problem is pot is legal in Colorado now. It doesn't mean we're all walking around stoned.

It's not my thing, and I personally don't even know anyone who smokes it. I don't even smell it on strangers. Ever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.