Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Help needed for Montana

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Spike

Default Help needed for Montana

Hi all I'm new to the site. So I'm gonna start with a question. I am planning a trip to Montana to hunt mule deer. I'm looking to go to region 7 outside of Broadus. I want to do public land but would like to get hooked up with private also. Can anyone help. I have never hunted there and just need a little help.

Thanks in advance
Gb270
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Spike

We hunted southwest of Miles City about four years ago. My neighbor's son was in college there and was able to get us on a private ranch that his coach owns. We took two bucks in the 160"-170" range in two days around the 10th of November. From what we saw public ground is pretty difficult. If you're after a two or three year old and don't mind lots of walking you shouldn't have any problem, but if you're after anything big, public is very tough. There are a lot of ranches with huge bucks, but they charge an arm and a leg.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gb270
Hi all I'm new to the site. So I'm gonna start with a question. I am planning a trip to Montana to hunt mule deer. I'm looking to go to region 7 outside of Broadus. I want to do public land but would like to get hooked up with private also. Can anyone help. I have never hunted there and just need a little help.

Thanks in advance
Gb270
Unless you have connections you're likely only going to get onto private lands for free if they're in Block Management. You might make some headway knocking on doors, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Keep in mind that most of Montana got hammered by winter kill in 2010/2011 and Region 7 got hit especially hard. EHD outbreaks last year took out a lot of the surviving deer and antelope in localized areas. I spent a lot of time in Montana last fall and the mule deer, whitetail, and antelope numbers are the worst I've ever seen. I honestly hope they implement some major restrictions on deer and antelope hunting for the next few years so they can bounce back. Not trying to rain on your parade bro, just telling you how it is.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Spike

I have never hunted there and just need a little help.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, I have lived in Montana for over 20 years and I am going to give you the best advice anyone can. Call the region 7 Montana fish, wildlife and parks. They will give you an honest answer to what areas have the best numbers of deer left after the recent die offs. Numbers are definitely down and also are the number of licenses that they are giving out for these areas. Good luck. HD.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Spike

Thanks y'all I really appreciate all the responses . I'll be taking your advise, if ya think of anything else please throw a bone.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Spike

Default Montana Hunting

I have a ranch in-between Alzada and Ekalaka MT and the Mule deer are coming in and eating our hay stacks up and causing problems. We have more deer than we need. We have been taking good size bucks off our place and have been seeing quite a few around the area. We do charge a fee to hunt, and like everyone else says public land gets hit pretty hard, but I think we have good herds around and still worth a look. Also in the Ashland area which isn't to far from Broadus alot of ground burned up last year. I mean ALOT!! So you might want to check that out before you go. Hope I helped. Good Luck and Good Hunting