HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help needed for Montana
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gb270
Hi all I'm new to the site. So I'm gonna start with a question. I am planning a trip to Montana to hunt mule deer. I'm looking to go to region 7 outside of Broadus. I want to do public land but would like to get hooked up with private also. Can anyone help. I have never hunted there and just need a little help.

Thanks in advance
Gb270
Unless you have connections you're likely only going to get onto private lands for free if they're in Block Management. You might make some headway knocking on doors, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Keep in mind that most of Montana got hammered by winter kill in 2010/2011 and Region 7 got hit especially hard. EHD outbreaks last year took out a lot of the surviving deer and antelope in localized areas. I spent a lot of time in Montana last fall and the mule deer, whitetail, and antelope numbers are the worst I've ever seen. I honestly hope they implement some major restrictions on deer and antelope hunting for the next few years so they can bounce back. Not trying to rain on your parade bro, just telling you how it is.