Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Enough Gun ?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
In 1954 I got a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for Christmas from my dad. I still have it, and it's got more elk and mule deer kills than I can remember. It's a perfect gun for dark timber still hunting. I never found a need to replace it for CF hunting.

I did get into muzzleloaders, and enjoy that too.

I'm not the type to get bored with something I really like. It's actually a test for me. If i'm getting bored I know I haven't found what I really like yet. That's why I tried all forms of hunting when I was young. They all bored me, except still hunting, and i'm still not bored after all these years. I think it's safe to say at this point that I won't be.
Who said that people buy guns because they are getting bored with hunting?if you are getting bored with hunting in general a new gun wont fix that.im just saying it adds a diffent angle of enjoyment to explore.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

I understand what your saying muley,either its in your blood or its not.if it is in your blood and you have extra cash most ppl will buy new toys to play with.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just make sure you get well so you can continue doing what you love this coming Fall!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm trying, but I don't see any progress yet. Same pain as the day it happen.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

In 1954 I got a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for Christmas from my dad. I still have it, and it's got more elk and mule deer kills than I can remember. It's a perfect gun for dark timber still hunting. I never found a need to replace it for CF hunting.

I did get into muzzleloaders, and enjoy that too.

I'm not the type to get bored with something I really like. It's actually a test for me. If i'm getting bored I know I haven't found what I really like yet. That's why I tried all forms of hunting when I was young. They all bored me, except still hunting, and i'm still not bored after all these years. I think it's safe to say at this point that I won't be.
30-30 is a great do anything round. I cant wait to get anotherone.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Spike

The .308 with premium bonded bullets like the Nosler Accubond or Partition, or the Barnes TTSX, is plenty for elk. That being said, if you're going on a distant trip to hunt elk and you might be faced
with a long range shot, then the .300 WM's extra range makes a
lot of sense. I'd probably go with the Nosler Accubond if the rifle likes it, as it's tough enough if you hit bone, has a good BC so it
maintains a flatter trajectory, and on a long range shot where it's slowed down considerably, the Accubond will still mushroom reliably.
I'd go with 180 grain. The .338 WM with Barnes TTSX's is what I'd use if I were hunting grizzlies or kodiak bears, but it's not needed for elk, and the .300 WM has a flatter trajectory. Hope this helps, have fun!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Didnt elmer keith also state the 270 was a coyote caliber or something like that?jack oconnor was twice the hunter elmer keith ever was
.270 will knock down a coyote in its tracks...I shot one 50yds away with a .270 and it left a baseball sized hole in it...

depending on what range you are shooting would depend what rifle you use...Me personally shooting deer/elk past 300yds is not sporting. Thats a whole different subject. Ive heard of people taking an elk with a bow 60-75 yards...If a bow can kill an elk anything bigger than a .223 or .243 would kill an elk eventually Not saying I would use a .223 or .243 for elk. The OP asked about .308 it has plenty power to kill an elk. as does any magnum, 338 or 30-30.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
.270 will knock down a coyote in its tracks...I shot one 50yds away with a .270 and it left a baseball sized hole in it...

depending on what range you are shooting would depend what rifle you use...Me personally shooting deer/elk past 300yds is not sporting. Thats a whole different subject. Ive heard of people taking an elk with a bow 60-75 yards...If a bow can kill an elk anything bigger than a .223 or .243 would kill an elk eventually Not saying I would use a .223 or .243 for elk. The OP asked about .308 it has plenty power to kill an elk. as does any magnum, 338 or 30-30.
Im not sure what your point is?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47

No you should not use a 223 on elk!what the hell kind of question are you asking?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm trying, but I don't see any progress yet. Same pain as the day it happen.
Sorry to hear that Pete. It will take some time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.