Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Enough Gun ?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

No kidding.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I know him, but never agreed with him. I listened to Jack O'Connor instead.
Didnt elmer keith also state the 270 was a coyote caliber or something like that?jack oconnor was twice the hunter elmer keith ever was
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm surprised he didn't call it a squirrel gun.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Elmer was just a little squirt with a big ego and a mouth even bigger. I wouldn't even put his name in the same sentence with guys like Jack, Finn, etc.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

A well placed and planned shot is the most importantand certainly within a 308 range and power. If the situation doesn't allow that a .338 WM followed by a .300 WM would be my choice. Max damage and shock power has its benefits.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's no law saying you have to take a shot. Big magnums are for those who aren't patient enough to get good shots.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
There's no law saying you have to take a shot. Big magnums are for those who aren't patient enough to get good shots.
Bravo, best answer yet.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

While I agree with that statement I have been hunting for 50 years and in that time I can recall a time or three that I took a shot that wasn't a 100% perfect setup. Different types of hunting can produce different chances at game. If you are sitting in a box blind over a food plot of an ag field you can often wait to get that perfect broadside shot while having a solid rest. With other types of hunting like what I enjoy, still hunting and tracking in the big woods when there is snow can produce a more rushed and free hand shot. Seeing the animal before he sees you is quite challenging and is the way I like to hunt. I have killed many animals but have unfortunately missed a few too. That is hunting and from the way I chose to hunt totally acceptable. Fair chase to me means I don’t always win. I don’t always choose to shoot when the percentage gets too low. Missing while not what any of us wants is part of hunting. Show me a duck hunter that gets 100% or a bird hunter that always drops his bird. Same with big game. You do the best you can to only take high percentage shots but misses and possibly wounded animals do happen if you hunt long enough. With that in mind I made my statement about having the best odds by using a gun with more than adequate power and range. I did preface that by saying the best situation is to take high quality shots with a gun that you can shoot well with.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Still hunting timber is my specialty. Been doing it for 61 years. Never needed more than a 30-30 for elk and mule deer. Now I use a muzzleloader. All with iron sights.

You need a 338 mag for still hunting?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where did he say he needed a .338 for still hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.