Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Enough Gun ?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

He recommended it in post#25. Why do you recommend something you're not using?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

The OP did not say anything about still hunting in timber and that's why some of us have suggested the .300 or .338 if he has no problem with them like he stated to start the thread. I use a 30-06 most of the time but also have other calibers for certain types of hunting and yet I recommend others depending on the situation. You hunt heavy cover with a smokepole and open sights, so obviously you wouldn't recommend those big calibers with scopes for your type hunting. He may be taking a 400+ yard quartering shot by necessity where he will be going. Which would you use in that instance if you had the choice between the .308 or the bigger calibers that can drive a bigger bullet deeper into the vitals if he can shoot both accurately?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-13-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never said the OP asked about still hunting. I wasn't posting to him. All i told him was all 3 guns would work. He didn't ask what gun i'd recommend.

I stand by what I said. Magnums are for those who aren't patient enough to get a good shot. It's a crutch.

I've tried long distance hunting to see what it was like. I used a .270/30-06, and they worked fine. That type of hunting wasn't for me though, and I never did it again.

CI recommended the 338, and he's a still hunter, and he talked about not always getting the perfect shot. how am I suppose to know what he uses for a gun?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I stand by what I said. Magnums are for those who aren't patient enough to get a good shot. It's a crutch."

***I didn't say you did and I know who you were posting to, but the above comment just because you like short range hunting with open sights is absolute BS when we're talking areas where you might have to take a shot like I mentioned!!!

"how am I suppose to know what he uses for a gun?"

***Maybe by asking, LOL! I hope that's your meds talking because you sound a little out of sorts tonight!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you might be missing my point. 50yds or 500yds. Waiting for a good shot is important'

I've listened to too my hunters who think they can shoot an animal anywhere if they have a big magnum. The only advantage a big magnum should have is more range, but you still need to take a proper shot placement.

The .308 is good for a 400yd shot on an elk. If you need more than that? Well....

Anyway, that's my .02.

I'm done.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not missing your point at all! I'm just saying that the bigger caliber at that 400 yard distance will stand a better chance with a heavier bullet of getting into the vitals unless it's a perfect broadside shot and many times a bull isn't going to give you that! I agree with you 100% that the magnums are not a makeup for making a bad shot and those who think that you can shoot an animal in the tail and kill him because that's what they are using are bad news to hunting! Hope you are coming along in your recovery from the accident!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I use one of two 30-06 rifles and don't own a magnum caliber. My western elk gun is an ultra lite 6 pound Ruger 77 with a Zeise 3X9 scope. My success rate has been 100% on western big game over the past 7 years for shot possibilities so that combination has been more than adequate. My still hunting bigs woods gun is a Remington 7600 carbine customized with a shotgun stock and a Williams peep and fire dot front sight similar to the guns the Benoit family used. I was answering the original post saying he had a choice between a 308, a .300 and a .338 and could shoot them all equally well. I have never needed anything more than the 06 for elk but can see where if a magnum caliber is properly shot it might open some opportunity for increasing odds on certain shots. I am not against waiting for a better more high percentage shot on elk or any other game. At some point that animal hopefully gets to a position where I know I can take him. At other times it slips away and I don't get that chance based on my confidence level with the weapon of choice. If all I have is a 350 yd shot across a canyon at a big bull I would rather do it with as much power and trajectory as possible. That is a hypothetical statement because none of my numerous big game kills have come at more than 210 yds. Most have been under 100 yds.

Pics of the still hunting gun where most shot opportunities come fast and are moving. While the gun is light weight and compact to carry while still hunting timber and swamps/ bogs of the big woods in the Northeast...I wouldn't want to use it with open sights on a 200 yd shot at a deer. For those shots a scoped gun would be a better fit just like a magnum might be a better fit for that once in a lifetime crack at a quartering bull at 350 yds just before he goes into the next county. Every gun caliber combination has its advantages. While my little carbine might not be the weapon of choice for open long range shots it is perfect for knocking down a deer jumped in a swamp where your only shot has to be fast. That red firedot front sight centered in the wide open Williams peep painted lipstick red against a brown body in a snow background is awesome.

Attached Thumbnails Enough Gun ?-hni-stuff-012.jpg   Enough Gun ?-hni-stuff-016.jpg   Enough Gun ?-hni-stuff-018.jpg  

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-14-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent rig for where you're hunting and that's why the Benoits were/are so successful up in that country using them!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 AM
Dominant Buck

It is fun to hunt with and easy to carry. No scope to snow up and you can shoot it fast and surprisingly accurately with the peep. The raised comb that came stock on the gun was suitable for a scope mount rather than the peep sight. The remington 20 ga shotgun stock fitted right on the gun and matched the finish perfectly.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I never said the OP asked about still hunting. I wasn't posting to him. All i told him was all 3 guns would work. He didn't ask what gun i'd recommend.

I stand by what I said. Magnums are for those who aren't patient enough to get a good shot. It's a crutch.

I've tried long distance hunting to see what it was like. I used a .270/30-06, and they worked fine. That type of hunting wasn't for me though, and I never did it again.

CI recommended the 338, and he's a still hunter, and he talked about not always getting the perfect shot. how am I suppose to know what he uses for a gun?
i wouldnt go as far saying useing a magnum is a crutch.i used nothing but a 30-06 for over 20 years on every big game i hunted,and yup it kill game.but anything that adds new excietment to the sport should be welcomed.all i shoot now are magnums,not because they kill animals any better.variety is the spice of life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.