Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Are there any whitetails in Colorado? >

Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

Old 01-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

I know the mule deer are plenty, but are there any whitetails out there?
Old 01-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

Yes there is. They are located in the eastern half of the state. To hunt them, you must draw a plains deer tag and most of the land is private. They are starting to see alot of monsters coming out of the river bottm areas (from what I have heard).

BM

...Rocky Mountain High...
Old 01-30-2002, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

There sure are! As a matter of fact there are some huge whitetail bucks in Colorado. If you get a chance to watch the latest Primos "Truth" video they take a couple of monster whitetails in Eastern Colorado.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's cool. I figured there had to be...you just don't hear much about it. Any idea how far west the population extends? I've been hearing they are interbreeding with the muley's in some areas out west. I saw one (hybrid) on tv, and it was kinda neat looking. Guess it would be considered a muley for scoring purposes.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:14 PM

The whitetail population is starting to extend as far west as I-25, at the base of the foothills. There is a couple of good sized herds of whiteys south of Colorado Springs, along Fountain Creek. I have seen two really nice bucks in this area. There is some good public land to hunt whitey's in CO. The South Republican SWA and Tamarack Ranch SWA are good. Getting a tag for a unit with good amounts of public land is pretty hard though. Anywhere from 3 to 13 preferance points for a late rifle tag.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

State record typical: 182 5/8

State record non-typical: 258 2/8

State record archery typical: 194 0/8

State record archery non-typical: 229 7/8

That says something, don't it
Old 01-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! That's pretty impressive! Guess they are pretty big. Seems like there isn't very many places they aren't living now.

Flat Top....not to get into it if it's too much trouble, but what the heck are preference points? Here in Va and WVa you just buy your license and hunt wherever you have permission to, or on public land. No drawings or anything like that. I'm very unfamiliar with the whole out west license thing....although I am planning on going out there someday to hunt. Guess, I'll have to figure it out...eventually.

Edited by - WV Hunter on 01/30/2002 15:12:57
Old 01-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

WV Hunter - All deer tags in Colorado, and many other western states, are issued through a lottery drawing. Colorado awards a preference point to unsuccessful applicants. Preference is given for issuing tags to those with maximum points, guaranteeing that if you continue to apply yearly (and live long enough) you will eventually draw the tag of your choice.

Some other states use bonus points. Bonus points are similar to preference points. The major difference is that only a portion of the tags are set aside for those with max points, the remainder going into an open draw. Each preference point gives you an additional chance in the drawing. In this system everyone has a chance of drawing, even with no points. The bonus points raise your odds the same way buying more tickets in the lotto would.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

WVhunter, if it's whitetails you're looking for, Colo. surely isn't your first choice of states. Yes there are whitetails in Colo., and yes some do get big, but the numbers of whitetails isn't very high. You will have to have an outfitter for sure, and hope he has the best private ground for hunting them.But my personal opinion is that if its whitetails you're looking for, don't come any futher than Ks.or Iowa and you'd have a better chance at a big whitetail. Not trying to send ya else where, but like RuRu12 said, it will take preference points, most likely, to get a tag.best of luck when ya get the chance to go.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I kinda understand the preference point thing. But are you telling me that a RESIDENT of CO could possibly not get a license to hunt in CO? Is it the same way for Elk and other big game too? What about if you are a land owner? I'm just curious about all this because some friends of mine live out in the Colorado Springs area (non-hunters) and they are trying to talk me into moving out. It just seems kind strange to me that it's all done by a lottery. I guess I can understand for non-residents, but for residents????
I've lived in the east and hunted whitetails all my life, and I guess I'm just used to our game laws here. Go buy your license and go hunt. And if you are a land owner and are hunting on your own land, you don't even need a license.

And Howler, yes I agree, it wouldn't be my first choice for whitetails either, I was just wondering because you don't hear much about CO and whitetails. Elk, muley's and others get most of the attention.

Quick Reply: Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.