Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Looking for advice on a good hunting pack >

Looking for advice on a good hunting pack

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for advice on a good hunting pack

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default Looking for advice on a good hunting pack

I was wondering what anyone's thoughts where on between the Horn Hunter Full Curl or the Eberlestock Dragonfly hunting pack. I have been doing a lot of research and it seems both are good packs. I will be mule deer and hunting this fall where I will need to pack out the deer and elk hunting in the future. Anyones opinions on these two would be greatly appreciated. pros and cons of both. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like you said, probably both good packs.

I like my eberlestock J34 just fine. Had it 3 years now and packed out parts of 5 elk (over 1/2 of each of them) and 2 large mule deer in mine and it did fine. I like the scabbard and it was one of the deciding factors for me on the eberlestock. Really only negative at all about it is the load lifters which allow heavy dense loads (boned out elk hindquarter) to ride low in the pack. I've figured out how to get around this by the way I pack it though so not a big deal.

If I were to buy a pack today I would look at the Kirafu and Mystery Ranch packs. About double the money of the eberlestock but they sure have their followers. The gunbearer on the Kirafu is supposed to be really nice. I typically only carry my rifle in my scabbard of my eberlestock in the dark or when I've already filled my tag and the rest of the time I carry it on a sling on my shoulder because it is a little slower for me to get to it in the scabbard. The Kirafu gunbearer is supposed to be really quick to get too, even quicker than wearing it on a sling on your shoulder.

Eberlestock is a fine pack and expensive enough for me though. You can spend $600 - $700 on a Kirafu or Mystery Ranch with accessories pretty easy.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Spike

I have a Kifaru Longhunter Standard and an Eberlestock J34. Both are fine backpacks but, I personally find the J34 to be more flexible, especially when using it with the spike camp duffle bag. Without the duffle, it is a great daypack although just a bit heavy. The heaviest weight I've carried is about 60 lbs. (with both packs) and the J34 is more comfortable to me. That said, the Kifaru is not uncomfortable and the belt system is one of the best. I just like the flexibility and comfort of the J34.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Spike

There are so many variations of packs out there, some designed for specific hunting ie bowhunting, rifle hunting, multi-day hunts. Can you tell us a little bit more about what you will be using the pack for?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by npaden
Like you said, probably both good packs.

I like my eberlestock J34 just fine. Had it 3 years now and packed out parts of 5 elk (over 1/2 of each of them) and 2 large mule deer in mine and it did fine. I like the scabbard and it was one of the deciding factors for me on the eberlestock. Really only negative at all about it is the load lifters which allow heavy dense loads (boned out elk hindquarter) to ride low in the pack. I've figured out how to get around this by the way I pack it though so not a big deal.

If I were to buy a pack today I would look at the Kirafu and Mystery Ranch packs. About double the money of the eberlestock but they sure have their followers. The gunbearer on the Kirafu is supposed to be really nice. I typically only carry my rifle in my scabbard of my eberlestock in the dark or when I've already filled my tag and the rest of the time I carry it on a sling on my shoulder because it is a little slower for me to get to it in the scabbard. The Kirafu gunbearer is supposed to be really quick to get too, even quicker than wearing it on a sling on your shoulder.

Eberlestock is a fine pack and expensive enough for me though. You can spend $600 - $700 on a Kirafu or Mystery Ranch with accessories pretty easy.
Great review...................Thank you !

"Eberlestock is a fine pack and expensive enough for me though."

+1

http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/backco...onfly-package/