HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for advice on a good hunting pack
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Like you said, probably both good packs.

I like my eberlestock J34 just fine. Had it 3 years now and packed out parts of 5 elk (over 1/2 of each of them) and 2 large mule deer in mine and it did fine. I like the scabbard and it was one of the deciding factors for me on the eberlestock. Really only negative at all about it is the load lifters which allow heavy dense loads (boned out elk hindquarter) to ride low in the pack. I've figured out how to get around this by the way I pack it though so not a big deal.

If I were to buy a pack today I would look at the Kirafu and Mystery Ranch packs. About double the money of the eberlestock but they sure have their followers. The gunbearer on the Kirafu is supposed to be really nice. I typically only carry my rifle in my scabbard of my eberlestock in the dark or when I've already filled my tag and the rest of the time I carry it on a sling on my shoulder because it is a little slower for me to get to it in the scabbard. The Kirafu gunbearer is supposed to be really quick to get too, even quicker than wearing it on a sling on your shoulder.

Eberlestock is a fine pack and expensive enough for me though. You can spend $600 - $700 on a Kirafu or Mystery Ranch with accessories pretty easy.