Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Attention Moose hunters!!Question.... >

Attention Moose hunters!!Question....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Attention Moose hunters!!Question....

Old 09-11-2003, 06:53 AM

Default Attention Moose hunters!!Question....

This year , we are going bow hunting but only have a calf tag.What call would be best suited for the hunt.Will a cow with a calf still come to a bull call? thanx, Steve.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Attention Moose hunters!!Question....

Sorry, I know this doesn' t answer your question but I am curious.
They issue tags for calf only, you can' t take a cow with it?

How do you tell the difference? At what point does a female calf become a cow?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:12 AM

A calf becomes a cow a 1 year of age, there is a noticable difference in the size and head shape of a cow vs a calf. Can`t help with the calls though because I never seen a calf while bowhunting.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I believe there are regulations regarding size of the animal which is how it is determined between what classifies a cow and what classifies a cow. I' m sure it varies from state to state or province to province depending on where you' re hunting.

And yes, they issue tags for calfs only. I know in Ontario on an archery bull tag you can take a bull or a calf, whereas on an archery cow tag you can only take a cow.

Also, depending on where you are hunting if someone else in your party has a bull tag you may be able to party hunt legally. I would check into those regulations as well.

As for the calling - over the years we have had cows come in to bull calls, but not very often at all. Our best bet for seeing/getting close to cows and calfs was always scouting and hunting near water sources such as lakes, swamps, and rivers. Cows and calves will have a daily routine much like a deer will and if you can figure out their patterns you might be able to set up and catch one moving between bedding and feeding areas.

When all else fails - spot and stalk.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:18 AM

In Ontario a resident moose license comes over the counter with a calf tag. All moose may be party hunted and I agree about hunting water because I`ve never heard of bowhunters being successful hunting calfs.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry never heard of any calling techniques for calves. Maybe a calf bawl would bring a cow with her own pup in tow, but really don' t know. I believe the quaker boy moose call has calf/cow and bull sounds all in one call, not 100% sure but I have seen them in stores before. I would agree set up in transition areas food/water/bed would probably be the best bet, similar to whitetails or spot & stalks may be an option depending on them terrain.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your opinions.I think that we' ll hunt near water and hope for the best. Have a great hunt. Steve.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve tried calling during calf-only hunts several times with no success.

Apparently cows (some with calves) will occasionally come in to the standard (cow) call for bulls (just to be sociable), and sometimes if you do a calf call, you can bring in cows that - even though they have their own calf with them - come in as part of the herd instinct to protect a weaker animal in distress.

As I said, however, I' ve never seen this work (yet).

The calves I' ve shot were taken with a rifle while still hunting as were two others taken by a member of my party. One guy took one with a rifle while we were doing a drive.