Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 " Playing The Field"  --- Do  Your Skills Transfer? >

" Playing The Field" --- Do Your Skills Transfer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

" Playing The Field" --- Do Your Skills Transfer?

Old 09-09-2003, 03:04 AM

Default RE: " Playing The Field" --- Do Your Skills Transfer?

Some interesting points.

BTW, I' ve driven some rental cars that I liked better than what I owned.
I sure don' t use the " fall out of the sky" rounds on elk.
Bolt actions pretty well overcome the feeding problems caused by weather.
Scope standardization (leupold) pretty well makes them all behave the same, never had one (a Leupold) fog up.

...and yes, I for one find that I get " rusty" with one or the other, except for high powered rifle which seems to be instinctive regardless of which cal.
Beans, that has kind of been my experience -- scoped high powers feel instictive to me as well.

Last year, one of my boys decided (somewhat late in the game) he wanted to move up to 338 and I gladly transitioned him over to mine. I had the choice of moving up or moving down, I passed on my childhood 270, so I took an M-70 in 375HH that I hadn' t ever fired before and went on a rapid familiarization track. I added a rubber " slip on" recoil pad to lengthened the stock an inch. About 30 rounds later she was sighted in to a " t" (Leupold optics). Then things got harried business wise and those 30 rounds in that particular rifle were all I got prior to the season.

Opening day, at 30 minutes past day break, two elk appeared below my stand at 210 yards. Braced off of a 12" aspen. One quick cow call to stop and turn them. Everything flowed into slow motion. No " normal" recoil or muzzleblast, as happens when hunting. Crosshair, Shoulder, KThump! One down. The sound of brass clearing the action. Number two now starting to bolt, sweep, acquire, crosshair, shoulder, KThump! Two down! I looked up, almost in disbelief, they laid within 30 yards of each other. I' d never wrapped up an elk season that early, nor that easy.

The rifle? Well, let' s say it was a very pleasant second date -- felt like we had been married forever -- just like they are supposed to when they are set up right. Nice as it was, it is neck and neck between it and a different one for elk this fall.

So I had plenty of experience with high powers that essentially " fly the bullet down the same string" just a different rifle to launch it with. Bolt action. Same fit. Same Leupold optics, same result. Very short curve -- mostly " where is the safety on this one?" and I can handle that one.

Bowhunters have to practically consider it a crime to use these kinds of firearm/optics combinations and call it " hunting" . Bowhunting elk? Now there is a sport that requires some skill and carries the term " familiarity with equipment" to a whole new level.

Me, I' ll just stick with the " easy to use" /interchangable stuff.

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Showtime,
EKM
Old 09-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Today I shot two rifles that a friend owns that I have never even seen before. I was able to get about 2" groups at 100 yds in all of the wind and rain that we had today. I should have no problem hitting a pie plate at 200 yds, however, I would like to have more practice with each before going afield. I think it does transfer from rifle to rifle.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:20 PM

I have full corral, but the 270 usually get the call for deer and the 300wm for elk.
I shoot them both a lot before each season so I' m ready. I just bought my first " varmint" gun..a ruger one in 22-250. I really like shooting that guy. It' s a good tune up for the HP stuff without the recoil.

It don' t much matter to me what I' m shooting..rim fire, centerfire, shotgun, pistol..heck I enjoy going out and throwing rocks!!!!