Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose call ?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default moose call ?

Which is better for the sept Maine moose hunt, Bull call or cow, or just both? Compared to homemade can call, is there any really good manufactured calls?Also has anyone heard any reports from Zone 3? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
croc2116
Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the Knight and Hale bull grunt moose call for calling out moose in Sept. This will work for bulls.. If you are trying to get a cow to come out I am not so sure on what you want to have for a call. If you are trying for a cow moose it would be pretty much up in the air on that one. Here is a link to what I like in Sept. http://www.knightandhale.com/product...aspx?id=328569 I have called a many of moose with this one. Also as some will tell you a coffee can will work sometimes just as well. The only problem with a coffee can is others may have tried to call a moose out for pics or scouting. This will make a moose ignore the coffee can if it has been used on it. Keep in mind moose are not normally rutting then but rather establishing territory for the up coming rut. Keep in mind that patience is the key player here. I have also called moose with it last Sept. as well. After a co-worker told me there was not any moose around. Then he had sat home the last day of the hunt.. I told him if he had wanted me to I would call one out for him.. Oh, well he went without. We were all upset with him over that one as we wanted him to get one and bring in a good feed at work..lol. I am showing him some trail cam pics this year of the moose I have walking up and checking out my trailcam. Here is a pic from 09 that I called out using the call above.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 07-08-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

Nice bull which zone? Thanks for advice.

croc2116
Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info about the Knight and Hale call Phil. Think I'll check one out 'cause calling moose is a lot of fun.

In 2006 I used a Buck Expert moose call that worked really good making a good variety of cow calls.(not real great on bull grunts though).

So I lent it to a friend in 2010 - and you can guess the rest of the story.

I bought another Buck Expert moose call to replace it and they had changed the call altogether and it doesn't work near as good. Wish I could get my $ back!

- Jay
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

This was in Zone 19 which to far south for you.. But they are very plentifull up in zone 3.. Just look for some cutttings from the woodcutters. I like the cuttings that are 2 to 3 years old the best. Some folks like the first year cuttings. The moose will be around the cuttings though. More so if there is a bog nearby.

Hey Jay,

Keep in mind it is a hi piched call unlike the lower pitched call that will sound like a cow calling.. As it is a bull grunt that will need a little practice and calling needs to be kept with in a limited time frame unless they are answering. Then when you think the bull is close.. hold up and lethim find where you are at.

Phil

Just a side note for you is that this bull grunt will not work good during the Oct. hunt as the moose are then rutting and a cow call would be needed.. I have an old one that I can not find any where at all. It was called a cow grunt.. This one I have been laugh at and every thing else. But, what the did not realize it will stop a big or little bull up in it's tracks. That is when nothing else wood work and numerous hunters told me they would not come to calls... I blew for a couple of guys last year while going bow hunting. The guide they have laughed at it.. Around an hour later a 700 to 800 lb bull was standing there and they had gone off.. Oh well there was nothing I could do about that. This year I will be taking a camera with me on every trip out in the woods up here.. I am planning on posting a few pics from my camera I recieved this past Christmas..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 07-09-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've tried plenty of moose calls years ago . But about twenty years ago I gave up and learned to call with just my voice , and something to scrape trees with,I use a small shed paddle that fits in my pack, but have used shoulder blades , canoe paddles , and even pieces of 3/8 plywood. They all work.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by aaalaska
I've tried plenty of moose calls years ago . But about twenty years ago I gave up and learned to call with just my voice , and something to scrape trees with,I use a small shed paddle that fits in my pack, but have used shoulder blades , canoe paddles , and even pieces of 3/8 plywood. They all work.
I agree with this as well because at times they will hold up just out of sight. By raking a small group of bushes and the like it will help bring the bull out for a better shot. Even just a dropped deer antler or a sturdy stick will work for this as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Get a Bull Magnet moose call. They're easy to use for both cow and bull calls, and brush scraping. They also really amplify your hearing if you hold it up to your ear.

http://www.alaskaremote.com/bull_magnet.htm

Moose calls are pretty simple to do just by mouth, but a megaphone really helps amplify the sound.

Love, Thunder, and Bull Vol. 2 is a great video to learn moose calling.