Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk tags?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Spike

Default elk tags?

i live in texas and would like to take an elk trip in colorado how do i get a tag?is it a drawing?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

there are limited elk tags in specific areas that are by draw only. that drawing has taken place for this year. there are also over the counter tags in many areas. you would need to contact CDOW to find out which areas are open. just google cdow and you should get to their home page.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

As was said. You have lots of units that are OTC for bull elk during the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons. You also have OTC archery tags you can buy. The last option is some leftover tags that go on sale in Aug.

I agree to call the DOW to talk about your options. They love to help, because they want your money.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Provide some more information on what you have in mind. Are you wanting to go this year or in a later year? Are you going on your own? Do you plan to take a group of other hunters out with you? Are you going to pay an outfitter to take you out? What kind of hunt are you looking for -- a good elk hunting experience or a trophy hunt?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Spike

I deffenitely wont be this year im going.i was looking cause my brother waants to go for his graduation present.he would like to stay and a big lodge with electricty and it all.where as if i was gunna go i may to a pack trip or do it on public land.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

How was he planning to get from this big lodge to where the elk are?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HUNTING4LIFE21
I deffenitely wont be this year im going.i was looking cause my brother waants to go for his graduation present.he would like to stay and a big lodge with electricty and it all.where as if i was gunna go i may to a pack trip or do it on public land.
For each hunter:
Big Lodge: $10,000-$20,000

Pack Trip: $5,000-$7,000

Do-it-yourself on public land: depends on how much camp equipment you've got. $1,000 - $2,000

None of these costs include the cost of the license. It is assumed you already own a gun, suitable hunting clothes, boots.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Spike

you ride a horse out into the mountains and tie them to a tree.the only reason im thinking of doing a pack trip is because i wont have time to scout and not sure where the best public lands are?