Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk >

Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk

Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk

I took my son and my dad to an outfitter in Quebec for a little get away. I got a bear license and my 9 (almost 10) year old son and I went bear hunting. We spent 6 days in the stand and saw nothing. 5:00-10:00pm each night.

I've been taking my boy deer hunting with me since he was 6 so he knows how to be quiet and still. And this time he was as good as I could expect.

The outfitter has 90% kill and 97% sighting. The other 6 hunters shot their bears by Tuesday.

What did we do wrong? I've been hunting for 30 years. Bow-killed good bucks. Even shot PA bear with no bait or hound. How could a slam dunk turn into a complete bust?

Was my kid more fidgety than I thought. The visibility was about 2 inches and bears have poor eyesight. I would say hearing was a possibility but, the flies and mosquitos made quite the cover-sound.

I'm just wondering if this was a once in a billion fluke or whether me and the kid aren't stealthy enough to hunt baited bears.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Same bait or different baits? Was/were the bait/s being hit before you arrived and were they being hit at night when you weren't there?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Day 1 & 2 = one bait

Day 3 & 4 = another bait

Day 5 = a third bait

Day 6 = a fourth bait

Baits were empty each day. I assume they got hit at night.

But, other hunters got bear. Some at 6:30, 7:00 and 8:00. Shooting ended at 9:45.

At home, bears are not timid. They juat lay down and eat.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Typical Buck

I went on a bear hunt like this years ago where my bait was getting hit at night and nothing while I was sitting there. The baiter told me it was because I was a chewer which I did spit in a bottle for sent control. So on the night he told me that I got out of the stand walked over to the pile of bait and spit my chew out on the pile. I turned to the bait guy and said if he wants that food he'll get used to chewing. Sounds silly but the next day I showed up to the stand with the bait guy to re bait it and stayed from 10am to 3pm which was the time I shot my bear. At 3pm most guys weren't even getting dressed to go to their stands. I also sprayed my boots so heavy with anise that is all I could smell all day. I say your hunt was a fluke. Bad timing if you will.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Stand hunting for bear is much more finicky than for deer. I think their eyesight is underrated. They frequently know where the stands are, and watch them from out of site. I have discovered this firsthand several times. Of course, two hunters are twice as noticeable, and what passes for minimal fidgeting on a deer stand equals alot on a bear stand.
I have learned that sitting a stand out usually pays off. Over the last five years, I shot my bear the last night (usuallly last light). I at first disagreed, but now agree with my guides that they do pick up on that little bit of new scent, and get more used to it in time. I also vastly prefer a ground blind. They give you much more freedom to move around. I have had a bobcat and bears within a few feet without knowing I was there. I think with a youngster, it would be the ideal way to go.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

We did spend two days on the ground. On top of a 20 foot cliff and behind some trees and brush. I thought that was the ideal ambush spot. But, nothing but snowshoe hares showed up.

Sounds like the two of us together will never see bear unless we happen upon a stupid one

I'm use to the bears that come to a corn feeder here in PA. You can go out and yell at them and they just lay there and eat.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

their smell is incredible.

had an outfitter say they'd put a bear's nose over a deer's.

sounds like just unlucky... less you were swatting those mosquitoes like crazy?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a Thermacell so we weren't doing too bad with the bugs.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Barnes. I think, like the other guys here. Switching bait stations may have been your downfall. Otherwise, like the others said. scent, and movement are the usual culprits.

Good hunting.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like it just didn't come together for you. Kudos to your little guy for sticking it out though. Those are long hours, day after day, for a youngster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.