HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/367188-help-6-day-guided-bear-hunt-skunk.html)

BarnesX.308 07-03-2012 07:42 PM

Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk

I took my son and my dad to an outfitter in Quebec for a little get away. I got a bear license and my 9 (almost 10) year old son and I went bear hunting. We spent 6 days in the stand and saw nothing. 5:00-10:00pm each night.

I've been taking my boy deer hunting with me since he was 6 so he knows how to be quiet and still. And this time he was as good as I could expect.

The outfitter has 90% kill and 97% sighting. The other 6 hunters shot their bears by Tuesday.

What did we do wrong? I've been hunting for 30 years. Bow-killed good bucks. Even shot PA bear with no bait or hound. How could a slam dunk turn into a complete bust?

Was my kid more fidgety than I thought. The visibility was about 2 inches and bears have poor eyesight. I would say hearing was a possibility but, the flies and mosquitos made quite the cover-sound.

I'm just wondering if this was a once in a billion fluke or whether me and the kid aren't stealthy enough to hunt baited bears.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks

wyomingtrapper 07-03-2012 07:59 PM

Same bait or different baits? Was/were the bait/s being hit before you arrived and were they being hit at night when you weren't there?

BarnesX.308 07-03-2012 08:18 PM

Day 1 & 2 = one bait

Day 3 & 4 = another bait

Day 5 = a third bait

Day 6 = a fourth bait

Baits were empty each day. I assume they got hit at night.

But, other hunters got bear. Some at 6:30, 7:00 and 8:00. Shooting ended at 9:45.

At home, bears are not timid. They juat lay down and eat.

Blackelk 07-04-2012 01:16 AM

I went on a bear hunt like this years ago where my bait was getting hit at night and nothing while I was sitting there. The baiter told me it was because I was a chewer which I did spit in a bottle for sent control. So on the night he told me that I got out of the stand walked over to the pile of bait and spit my chew out on the pile. I turned to the bait guy and said if he wants that food he'll get used to chewing. Sounds silly but the next day I showed up to the stand with the bait guy to re bait it and stayed from 10am to 3pm which was the time I shot my bear. At 3pm most guys weren't even getting dressed to go to their stands. I also sprayed my boots so heavy with anise that is all I could smell all day. I say your hunt was a fluke. Bad timing if you will.

Daveboone 07-04-2012 04:24 AM

Stand hunting for bear is much more finicky than for deer. I think their eyesight is underrated. They frequently know where the stands are, and watch them from out of site. I have discovered this firsthand several times. Of course, two hunters are twice as noticeable, and what passes for minimal fidgeting on a deer stand equals alot on a bear stand.
I have learned that sitting a stand out usually pays off. Over the last five years, I shot my bear the last night (usuallly last light). I at first disagreed, but now agree with my guides that they do pick up on that little bit of new scent, and get more used to it in time. I also vastly prefer a ground blind. They give you much more freedom to move around. I have had a bobcat and bears within a few feet without knowing I was there. I think with a youngster, it would be the ideal way to go.

BarnesX.308 07-04-2012 05:29 AM

We did spend two days on the ground. On top of a 20 foot cliff and behind some trees and brush. I thought that was the ideal ambush spot. But, nothing but snowshoe hares showed up.

Sounds like the two of us together will never see bear unless we happen upon a stupid one :D

I'm use to the bears that come to a corn feeder here in PA. You can go out and yell at them and they just lay there and eat.

salukipv1 07-04-2012 10:29 AM

their smell is incredible.

had an outfitter say they'd put a bear's nose over a deer's.

sounds like just unlucky... less you were swatting those mosquitoes like crazy?

BarnesX.308 07-04-2012 01:58 PM

Had a Thermacell so we weren't doing too bad with the bugs.

Mickey Finn 07-04-2012 04:43 PM

Hi Barnes. I think, like the other guys here. Switching bait stations may have been your downfall. Otherwise, like the others said. scent, and movement are the usual culprits.

Good hunting.

wyomingtrapper 07-04-2012 08:17 PM

Sounds like it just didn't come together for you. Kudos to your little guy for sticking it out though. Those are long hours, day after day, for a youngster.