Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose with a muzzleloader

Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default Moose with a muzzleloader

I was looking for some insight from someone who has actually taken a moose with a muzzleloader. I would like to know what kind of rifle you were shooting, powder type and load, bullet type and weight, distance of shot, where hit, how far did it go, etc. I drew a Colorado muzzleloader bull moose tag this year and I have a 50 cal T/C Hawken. We cannot use sabots, pelletized powder, or scopes here in CO, but I plan to use about 100 gr FFG Triple Seven with 370 gr T/C Maxi's and am wondering how that compares or any other advice from to someone who has already taken a moose. Thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd use a Thor 300gr bullet, 120gr of BH 209 powder, and keep the shots under 100yds.

http://thorbullets.com/
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Spike

Default CO muzzleloader moose/elk results

Pics of my sucessful CO mzldr bull moose hunt this past week. 37" spread and estimated 800 lbs live weight. Not a monster bull, but decent sized for CO. I also got a cow elk 2 days later.
Attached Thumbnails Moose with a muzzleloader-steve-moose-1-2012-crop.jpg   Moose with a muzzleloader-moose-ground-1-crop.jpg   Moose with a muzzleloader-steve-mzldr-elk-2012-crop.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Orion/CO
Pics of my sucessful CO mzldr bull moose hunt this past week. 37" spread and estimated 800 lbs live weight. Not a monster bull, but decent sized for CO. I also got a cow elk 2 days later.
Very nice...I don't think you need to ask for advice from anyone...Congratulations/bg
Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you use the load you mentioned?

I gave yo congrats on the BigGameHunt forum.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your moose and elk!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy smokes, nice job Orion! Beautiful moose, and a cow too. Your freezer is full for sure. If you need to unload any of those backstraps, just let us all know
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default load used

Actually I found out about a guy in Utah who makes custom mzldr bullets, called No Excuses. I was using his 460 gr slugs with 100 gr triple 7. I recovered 2 slugs from my moose and the one from the elk never passsed through, but I could not find the slug. They mushroomed well, but I thought for sure that heavy of a slug would have passed through (which is what I was hoping for). The end result was good, but my expectations of those slugs were not what I had hoped for.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, they kill ok, but i'm not a fan of big hunks of lead.

I like all copper bullets. Like the 300 gr Thor. You might give it a try next time.

This is just a cow elk, but it gives you some idea of how they perform.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...1-home-co.html