Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting? >

Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Old 08-28-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Hunters, I am looking for anyone who would care to share a close encounter with getting shot at while hunting. Were you on a deer drive? Did you drop your rifle? Someone shoot at a deer with not knowing you were on the other side of the deer.

Example, a friend of mine was posted and sat on the ground while waiting for some animals,he heard the first shot and stood up, the second shot from the 12 gauge ripped into his upper thigh, he nearly bled to death and lost his leg, this is a question we want to use on a televison segment on " safety in the woods" any help you can provide may save lives in the field, thanks so much, send to:

[email protected]

Dr. Mike
Old 08-28-2003, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

I have never been shot but my Bronco was,it was a " 78 Bronco it was a tan and cream color.We were driving a logging road when K-PANG some guy above the road saw it going through the trees and mistaked the topper for a elk.Blew a hole through the topper and the box,scared the sh$$$ out of us.

I' ve known a few guys who have shot a horse or a mule,and few years ago up by Great Falls MT,a guy stalked and killed a LLama thinking it was mule deer doe.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

I had a deer taken from my hunting partner and I at gunpoint but we backed off before any lead flew.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:57 PM

i heard the story about the llama, couldn' t believe that myself.

also heard a story of a first year hunter that shot a mule ...field dressed it, tagged it, loaded it in the truck and was caught when he pulled into the checking station.

i wish i was there to see the expression on the guys face working the checkin station.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:02 PM

A friend of mine growing up shot himself in the chest with a 410. The dork had it inside his coat, tripped and fell, the gun went off. It broke his coller bone and left a nice big scar on his upper chest. A couple of years after that, his older brother shot their uncle in the head with a rifle while deer hunting. Appearantly, the uncle was out front of the rest of them and he got hit in the back of the head. He survived but lost his right eye, had to walk with a cane, could barely speak. In short the man ended up as nearly a vegetable. Just a couple of cases that remind us all to be careful when we' re out in the field.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:54 PM

About ten years ago, I headed across the back of a 400 yd wide clear cut to get in the timber where I had seen Elk the day before. As I was ready to head into the timber I saw a truck pull up on the road below. Two guys got out and started looking around adn one quickly yelled," There' s one!" I thinking they spotted an Elk, stopped and waited. Standing in the open wearing an orange vest( the first day I had worn it in two weeks) and a red crush hat. Below me to the right about ten feet away a rock exploded and dust felw everywhere. Then I heard the shot and immediately started waving my hat and yelling at the top of my lungs at these idiots. Well the rock exploded again?! SO I fell behind a log got a steady rest and kicked dirt at their feet with a .300 Win Mag. They hopped into their truck and drove away. I went to the Game Warden and reported it but never ran into them again. I' m thinking they were Anti- hunting or animal rights nuts? Scariest thing I' ve ever known, gave me a little taste of what a Solider goes through[:@]
Old 08-30-2003, 12:44 AM

I hunting buddy of mine was hunting pigs with his friend and had his ten year old kid next to him. I guess his friend was off somewhere in the bushes either blocking trail if they had dogs, or he just happened to jump one. Shot the first shot at the pig and and my buddy in the backgrown on a road with his son and heard the buckshot fly right over their heads. Second shot, a 00 bcuk hit him right in the chest. He took one step and collapsed. He survived but the bullet is close to his spine and could not be taken out. That wasn' t very long ago.

I was almost shot once but not while hunting. I was filming by friends surfing. I was on boulder beach on Maui (Hanakahau) and a bunch dumb kids were cruising behind me for a while and then started shooting a semi auto 22 in the background. And I was sitting there filming a friend on a wave when they started shooting off a bunch off shots at a stump off to the side. I was behind a small bush but they should have been able to see me through it or see my head. They shot a bunch of shots for a few minutes and then I though to myself " I wonder if they see me" and right then PEEWWWWWWwwwwww, fricken 22 went singing off a rock 10 feet away. I even got it on tape. It came out very very loud on the video. I jumped up cussing and they all were pretty surprized and started giggling. I would have started cracking guys if there weren' t 7 to 1. Later when my friends came it, I learned that they were even shooting shots towards them too. My friend said a couple times they even pointed the gun towards them way out in the water and they could hear a couple shots go singing over their head.

These kids were pretty immature and disrespectful. I was surprized that they actually were shooting at a public beach. Where they were shooting at first was a a safe spot but when they shot towards me, my friends were actually in the backgrownd. And later when I learned they were shooting over their heads, I was even more surprized. Garenteed all future Ice-heads and theves.

Me and my friends were hunting pigs with bow one day and I flushed some pigs and one stopped just before jumping into some bushes and I drew back but it jump into the bush just as I came to full draw. Good thing I never shot tho cause it jumped into the bush only 5 feet away from my friend. I hadn' t seen him for a while.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:28 PM

I had birdshot hit me in the pants leg while grouse hunting. Luckily, the shot came from a ways off and didn' t enter the skin.

If I catch a bullet while wearing blaze orange the guy better hope it kills me, because Im shooting back!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Almost shot on 3 occasions but not biggame hunting...one instance bird shot sailing thru the woods and hitting everywhere but me and another instance 00 buckshot or equivalent spraying in front of my tree stand . Another instance was when a fellow " Hunter" almost shot my Golden retriever coming thru a Hedge Row thinking it was a Pheasant. I informed him that had he done that he would have had a lead enema performed on him free of charge. He got the He** out of there real fast.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:10 AM
DL2

Great thread for the anti' s to cut and paste gentleman. Keep up the great work with the info.

Quick Reply: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.