Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting? >

Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Old 09-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

yeah, I never responded.....didn' t think I liked the nature of the question being asked.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:47 PM

No way am I answering this. Near as I can figure you could be an anti-hunting, anti-gun, tofu eating wacko looking to do a research paper that says how all these jackass hunters shoot at each other. Verify that you are not a nut before I answer. If you are truly a hunter I apologize in advance.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:19 PM

Yup sure probably heheheh... Sure,, we got slob Hunters out in the woods just like we got slob Drivers out on the Road. That does not mean we are all bed Hunters or Drivers. Yes I have been shot at..three times in one day aver 30 years ago. I took up Archery Hunting and have not rifle hunted since. I am going to Rifle hunt this year because my Grandson needs the experience of a good Hunt..Hunting is just like everything else. You must be aware and not take chances. I see a lot of Rifle Hunters out in Camo Gear. Not a good thing to do, but what about the person out there that is coller blind ??????
Old 09-04-2003, 01:24 PM

I' ve had two idiot hunter encounters. The first was on a mule deer hunt in about 1984 in central Utah. I was almost skylined on a ridge and suddenly I hear what I thought was someone above me throwing rocks at the same time I' m hearing the report of a rifle on the other side of the valley. I never did find out who it was or what he was shooting at. I was too busy hiding behind a rock that wasn' t a lot bigger than me throwing rocks and yelling.
The second encounter happened while we were out of camp. We returned to camp and found a bullet hole through the tailgate of my cousins Jeep. No other damage, just a neat little hole.[X(]
Old 09-04-2003, 01:33 PM

I forgot something, is everyone here paranoid? Gimme a break. Anyone could make up better stories than we are sharing here. I think the benefit of sharing some of these stories is more important than worrying about some tree hugger with nothing better to do.
Don' t get me wrong, reading a story that PETA and the Sierra Club members all got killed in a rival gang fight would thrill me to no end, but I' m not letting it consume me.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-04-2003, 04:22 PM

i was in KAIBAB for archery deer season 3-4 years ago when this older gentleman at the jacobs lake lodge asks me " what keeps you from shooting this guy here?" that guy looked at me and was waiting for my reply when i said " HE AIN' T GOT HORNS" neither one laughed but i sure did

knowing what is behind the game you' re shooting at is as important as knowing what you are shooting at
Old 09-28-2003, 10:11 PM

About 5 years ago, my husband and I were hunting on Tea Table (Oregon) and we were walking on a road. We hear the twang of a bullet coming real close. I get sent airborn as my husband shoves me into the ditch and he follows closely behind. He' s instantly back into military mode (3 tours in Vietnam) and ready to start guarilla (sp?) warfare when a jeep pulls up and a guy hollars to get in. Hubby reluntantly followed me into the Jeep, I think he was torn between staying and settling the fire fight or letting me get in a rig with a perfect stranger. The guy said he was just fired on by some guys and he' s gettin out of there. We got in and drove out and ran into some other hunters who are telling us that there was someone on top of that rock and they' re shooting at anyone that comes onto " their" hunting spot to scare them off. Needless to say they were all ready to start a range war right there but came to their senses and found someone to report it to. Told our story and they said they' d take care of it. We came back to Tea Table a couple of days later and they were gone. Found what looked like a freshly broke camp. Hopefully they never return. We haven' t gotten tags for that area since then so we don' t know what has happend there lately.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:39 AM

Before answering, I would like to know a bit about what type of program the initiator of the thread will be producing. Will it be a program designed to show how evil hunters are? Perhaps one in which gun control will be promoted?

In my home state of Pennsylvania, we do have a few shooting incidents involving hunters each year. The percentage of hunters shot in mistake for game is much lower than is the percentage of drivers injured in accidents on our highways. You can look it up. Also, many more people are injured in automobile collissions with deer than are injured by hunting accidents involving a gun or bow (you can look that one up, too).

If the initiator of the thread wants to do something constructive, perhaps he could help in the push to make it a criminal offense to shoot a person in mistake for game. I would support such a move.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:49 AM

Oh, what the heck. Here is the latest information on Hunting Related Shooting Incidents during Pennsylvania' s two-week rifle deer season:

" One pleasing development in the 2002 deer seasons has been the dramatic decline in the number of hunting-related shooting incidents (HRSIs) involving one hunter shooting another hunter in mistake for game, or where the victim was either in the line of fire or struck by a ricochet or stray shot. Of the 10 reported HRSIs, only one was a fatal incident involving a hunter shooting another in mistake for game and one non-fatal incident involving a hunter who shot another hunter who was in the line of fire. The remaining incidents involved hunters who were handling a firearm in an unsafe manner or accidentally discharged their firearm."

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/press/2002/nr115-02.htm

Now, we have nearly a million (that is 1,000,000) licensed hunters in Pennsylvania. Most of them hunt during the rifle deer season. With 10 HRSIs, that gives an accident rate of 1/100,000 hunters. Your chances of knowing someone who had a serious car accident are much higher. With only one (1) fatality, that makes it safer than walking down the streets of Philadelphia or New York, where it is much more likely that you will be killed by a knife-wielding assailant than it is that you would be killed during a deer hunting trip. Please note that Philadelphia has strict gun control, so I used a knife for comparrison. Since Phila has gun control, criminals don' t use guns, do they?

In summation, hunting is a safe sport. You are more likely to die while fishing, than to die from being shot while hunting. Fishermen drown much more frequently. Hmmmm. Could we have some fishing control?

Quick Reply: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.