Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what are the chances?

Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 AM

Default what are the chances?

Hi all, I am heading to Wyoming (green river area) to hunt elk next month. It is my first hunt and I was wondering what the chances are of running into a Grizz? How concerned should I be?

luckyone
Old 08-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what are the chances?

I would not be very concerned about a bear,but be more cautious.Keep tark of your surrondings and bear sign.Keep a clean camp,dress and handle youg game with extream caution and have a good hunt.If you think your might run into a bear take some quality bear spray or keep your rifle handy.BBJ
Old 08-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Lucky,
I live there. We had two hunters kill a griz tryin' to git their elk last year. Where you going? The upper green is much more populated by griz. The road to Union Pass is more vulnerable than the one to GR Lakes. But the Green runs all the way to Colorado, so you gotta be more specific. We get an occassional griz in the Wyoming Range and in the southern Winds, but it ain' t as likely as in the New Fork canyon and Upper Green areas.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:01 AM

We will be in area elk area 93 just northwest of Pinedale. I will be carrying a 357 sig with 130 grain jacketed hollowpoints and bear spray. I' ve seen several things about the benefits of using both if confronted, but haven' t been able to decide personally yet. Obviously, I want to get it straight in my mind before I go..... I will also have my 300 Win Mag.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted unit-93, it does look like on the map that you will be in bear country.
Bear spray for the bear & one shot in your own head with that 357 should do the trick.[&:] I honestly feel that 357 is too small to do you much good. Your bullet choice is a poor one for bears. Look for hard cast bullets, they are built for maximum penitration. I live & hunt in bear country and I do not worry about bears. keep a clean camp & keep your rifle handy. If you ever see a Grizzly bear upclose you will never forget it.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:22 PM

I always kinda figured the 357 would be plenty big enough. Especially if I just need to shoot the guy with me in the leg to make sure I out run him!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:35 PM

Keep a clean camp and keep food away from the sleep tent. Never been to the area you are going to. When I was in Alaska, we had several big grizz in the area. I watched one for a long time and he got too close, so I hung my pack on my back and slid outta there. Never had a problem in camp, but we were careful. Here is a laugh though...the uncle of my buddy that lives there is a helicopter pilot and when I mentioned that I had a .357 along, he told me to file the front sight off of it before we head to the bush. I was obviously perplexed and asked him why in the " H" would I do that....he said that when that grizz takes it away from me and shoves it up my a$$, it won' t hurt so much!!! :-) Man, I almost bust my gut on that one...and of coarse took it hook, line and sinker.

Enjoy your hunt..................