Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are the chances... >

What are the chances...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are the chances...

Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default What are the chances...

that the deer will still be in rut this weekend? I live in SW Ohio, and to be honest, have not seen a lot of rutting activity. Based upon what I am reading, I am not the only one who is not seeing a whole lot. Just curious to know what you guys think......
Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Default RE: What are the chances...

In my area, I am thinking rut will be in full blast this coming weekend. The bucks down here are intrested but the famales dont seem to be yet. This year has been wierd though so only time will tell...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have long tried to explain to hunters that the rut doesn't just end because its november 13th. The rut and the rutting activity lasts about 6 or 7 weeks (and thats just the good stuff). Get out there! Find a spot that bucks will cruise through between woodlots searching for does!

The best time to be in the woods is the later parts of the rut.. that week around thanksgiving is magical. Many does have already been bred and the bucks are searching everywhere for the last few. You won't see alot of little buck activity but the big ones will be on there feet looking.. you just need to be there and in the right location. Hit funnels, fencelines, whatever you can find that would connect woodlots and other doe bedding areas.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

This weekend itwon't much matter in ohio..Youth gun season comes in. So they'll be out of the normal pattern.

If you go out, even bowhunting)make sure you wear yourBlaze orange coat and hatas required by law.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Things should get going pretty good. Two weeks ago the bucks in Licking County were starting to get real aggressive, I rattled in two nice bucks and took the second one. I did not see any chasing of does. This is the week that I have noticed alot of chasing in the past seasons and sightings of bucks that I am not familiar with in the area. If you can stand the sound of the shotgun blasts get out and stay out all day (alot of mid day sightings due to pressure and love struck deer) and I am sure you won't be disappointed. Like the earlier post stated be safe and wear your orange and go in and out of the woods with your light on!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have really only seen aggressive behavior the last three or four days in Western NY, so I am thinking we have another week or so until it dies off. Should be an interesting opening weekend for shotgun season here.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

that week around thanksgiving is magical.

I am off that whole week. Just hoping two brutes I've been hunting survive this weekend's firearms season.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

All we can do is get out there......