Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

first time bear hunter

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Spike

We would love to go big bear, but the Tags are quite expensive for them and we are trying to do the trip on the cheaper side. This trip was a little last minute because we got a great deal on airfare and lodging. Who knows what will happen when we get up there, might just have to pay the extra money for a big bear!!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Spike

I shot my first black bear a couple years ago on a DIY hunt, very fun and exciting. The meat is very good if you clean it up good and prepare it right. Actually, it is some of the best I've had. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I moved to AK last summer and although I haven't been able to hunt up here yet, I've been doing my own research and figured I'd pass along some of the things I've learned. You mentioned that you are going with someone with much more experience, my first comment is to talk to him/her and ask all of your questions. He/she will be able to give you some of the best advice.

• If you haven't already bought a rifle for the hunt, consider the stainless/synthetic option as saltwater will absolutely ruin/rust the finish on a blued barrel. In the least, have an oily rag to wipe the barrel down frequently to minimize damage.
  • You didn't say what region you were hunting in, but read the regulation book regarding meat salvage, flying, and boating. Different areas have different salvage requirements; you are not allowed to hunt the same day you fly in at all; and the rules regard shooting from a boat vary by region, especially in the southeast. Knowing the regs beforehand can save you trouble down the road.
  • A guide is required to hunt brown/grizzly bears if you are a non-resident (plus most coastal hunts are by lottery), so you won't be able to hunt them on your trip.
  • Expect to encounter a lot of rain, so waterproof gear is a must. Look into waterproof bags and duffles ("Sea to Summit" is a good starting place), especially to keep stuff dry in your boat.
  • Pay attention to high/low tides. The tide shift is huge in SE AK and you could end up with a beached boat for many hours waiting for the tide to return.
  • If you are hoping to mount your bear, talk to your taxidermist before the trip to fully understand what he needs/expects to be done with the hide to ensure a quality mount. Although I've never used one, many people rave about the Havalon Pirhanta knife for skinning/caping. Also inquire with your experienced friend regarding sealing/shipping of the hide.
  • Reqarding gear, you've already said rubber boots and waterproof outer garmets, so that is good. Weather can change fast, so be prepared to adjust accordingly. I prefer layering in fleece as it is quiet, warm, and quick drying.
  • Unless you are going to be doing a lot of remote hunts in the future, purchasing a satellite phone is probably a little over the top. If you truly feel you need one, I would suggest renting one for you trip, it will be much cheaper that way. The boat you are renting may already come with some sort of emergency beacon.
  • First aid/survival kits should be catered to your individual needs, there are some good recommendations already listed.

That's probably more than you were looking for, but hopefully it helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
-Steven
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Spike

This is all very helpful thanks!!!!