Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

first time bear hunter

Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default first time bear hunter

Hey guys,

I am a first time bear hunter, in fact a first time hunter. I have a bear hunt scheduled for May 16 in Alaska. I have always wanted to go hunting and this trip came up and couldn't resist for the price.

Now, I do not know what I need for the trip. I was hoping people could help me put a complete list of gear needed. Any help is greatly appreciated and assume I have nothing (including underwear.....wait I think I just started the list.....underwear - check )
Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

A gun might be nice!!! first off what is the outfitter going to provide??? you might just have to bring gun, clothes and lots of money!!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

If you are serious...most folks start preparing for a hunt of this nature literally years in advance...
A well sighted in rifle, as previously mentioned, would be first, with quality glass on it, and appropriate ammo. A guide might be able to help you with this, if you dont have one. Start talking to him now, not in a week or two! Will you need a sleeping bag?
Next, what are the extremes of weather you are going to run into? A down sweater is a good idea, they pack very small. Most likely a couple pairs of synthetic long underwear (NEVER COTTON!). A pair of waterproof boots appropriate for the climate...well broken in, without exception, with several pairs of appropriatly fitting cold weather socks (NEVER COTTON). A quality goretex rain suit, top, bottom and hat, which you will probably live in. A good quality bug suit, probably a Thermocell bug repeller with refills. A good qualiity day pack with your essentials, (canteen, first aid kit, snacks, firestarter matereials, spare ammo, etc.) A good quality knife. Spare eyeglasses and medications, if you need them. A very good quality solid walled gun case.
In your pockets: quality folding knife, dependable lighter and firestarter, and a good quality compass. GPS goes in your bag if you have one, but the compass and knowing how to use it is more fail safe. Many details for clothing, but your guide is your best recourse. of course, you have your list of outfitter references you contacted also, who can fill you in.
Do you have your hunter safety class done? Most states and Canadian provinces require proof of one.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Spike

I figured I would hear rifle - I am very comfortable with shooting and am looking to borrow a rifle or purchase one, leaning towards the Remington 770 in 30-06. I am not going with an outfitter, but we are staying in a lodge at Baker Point, Alaska and renting a boat to go to the island for the hunt. I have been researching the following and will be purchasing soon:

-Rubber boots
-gore-tex jacket and pants (miltary surplus)
-rifle
-backpacks
-Satellite phone
-knife

I will be putting together a survival kit including firestarting equipment, first-aid kit, compass, and bug spray.

I have my hunting license purchased and per Alaska website hunter's safety course is not required.

Anything else I might need or should think about?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

You indicated "we" will be staying at a lodge. Are others in the party experienced hunters? You will need to know what to do with an animal once you have killed it. Are you hunting over baits, spot and stalk...? Read everything you can come across related to bear hunting and hunting in Alaska.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

It was already meantioned, but a clean pair of dry socks really make your feet feel better.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wyomingtrapper
You indicated "we" will be staying at a lodge. Are others in the party experienced hunters? You will need to know what to do with an animal once you have killed it. Are you hunting over baits, spot and stalk...?
Yes, the guy putting the trip together is very experienced. We will be spot and stalking.

And I will make sure I have some good quality socks. The lodge had laundry so I do not need to over-pack, which is good since I have a 240lbs limit on the way in and I weight 180, guess no more weight lifting
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I assume your experienced hunter has done this type of hunt before? He should be your best source for what to bring.

Brown or grizzly?

#1 rule.....Don't get eaten. They get pissed when you shoot them.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Spike

We will be shooting black bear, and I have no intention of being eaten. I do not have to out run the bear, just the slowest guy in the group
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh ok. Most hunters go to Alaska for big bear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.