Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting with a .308

Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

I once asked a moose guide if a .308 was adequate for moose and he told me he would rather see me shoot a .308 that i could shoot than a .300 win mag that i couldnt, being a small frame guy and all. So i think there is some benefits to the .308 like less recoil and great accuracy. But for all you long range military guys out there remember that the military used the long range side of the .308 to kill men not elk. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 03-02-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gets me nervous

just reading that a newbie without experience is all ready to spend a grand on anything.
Guess I'm just too old to give any advice.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Spike

so because I am a newbie you cannot give me advice that makes no sense
Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

The .308 is enough bullet to take down an Elk... The .308 and the .30-06 are ballistically similar and the 06 has been the go to round for multiple sportsmen to take down large game animals, human beings, and any other assortment of living things. The military as well as police snipers use the .308 for the stopping power... Not that a human being is anywhere similar to an Elk but that should give some sort of nod to the power the .308 has....
Ultimately what matters is the shot placement...
You can never shoot a magnum caliber for the increased power to make up for decreased/poor shot placement!

Good luck on drawing a tag, may your aim stay true, and the heard bull present a broadside shot in your comfort zone!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Spike

now see that is what I am working on is my shot because the last thing as an ethical hunter that I want to do is not take the animal in a humane manor I saw a video of some guys hunting wild pigs with a AR- and it took them like shots to take it all the while the thing is kicking and screaming and they were laughing that to me as a hubnter made me want to smack em because guys like them make the anti hunting folks laugh. But I get back on track and you are right the precision and accuracy are key
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

.308 and 270winchester are very good moose harvest up to 300 yards.Take a time to check your bullet balistic and then you can match with the animal you hunt.Taureau noir