Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
any Hunter-tarians out there? >

any Hunter-tarians out there?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

any Hunter-tarians out there?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default any Hunter-tarians out there?

Any of you out there only consume wild game that you have harvested yourself? ie no beef/chicken etc... only wild game?

or maybe an estimate of how much meat you eat is game/wild vs. store bought/farm raised.

50% wild game? 10%? 90%?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a total Huntetarian, but certainly I normally have about 70 % of the meat in my freezer as wild game. However, this year we had to sell all our cows due to the drought, so currently about 40% of my freezer space is beef
Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Spike

Its all game meat everything from bison, yak, elk, deer and pronghorn. We haven't bought any meat from the store, other than bacon, for years. Also, owning your own meat processing business helps, I know all the good cuts and make our own summer sausage, breakfast sausage and jerky. Bison is of course what consumes our freezer the most, you get about 500-600 lbs of meat from the bulls I hunt.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 70% wild game for me.

I generally have moose, elk, two kinds of deer, pheasants, antelope, couple different kinds of fish in the freezer. I have an overflow freezer here at work that stays stocked yearround.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

I buy some pork and sandwich meats, like bacon, sliced ham and turkey and salami. Other than that, I've not bought any beef in a long time. All the red meat and ground meat is deer. I also make jerky and bologna, both trail and sandwich. Also use waterfowl, small game and such. I don't really have a guess on the percent tho, maybe 80:20, Game:bought.
-Jake
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Spike

25% wild game, 10% store bought, 65% Farm raised.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Spike

75 % of my diet consits of wild game, moose, deer, bear,duck, goose and fish. We do buy chicken and pork to eat the other 25 %.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I only eat chicken and the occasional burger when going out. I have got to the point were beef has a weird taste to me from eating so much venison. Any body else notice this ?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

NJ,
I've noticed it. I still like a good steak if I go out, but regular ground burger meat tastes weird to me.
-Jake