Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
any Hunter-tarians out there? >

any Hunter-tarians out there?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

any Hunter-tarians out there?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
  #1  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
salukipv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,575
Default any Hunter-tarians out there?

Any of you out there only consume wild game that you have harvested yourself? ie no beef/chicken etc... only wild game?

or maybe an estimate of how much meat you eat is game/wild vs. store bought/farm raised.

50% wild game? 10%? 90%?
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 AM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kerrville, Tx. USA
Posts: 2,722
Default

Not a total Huntetarian, but certainly I normally have about 70 % of the meat in my freezer as wild game. However, this year we had to sell all our cows due to the drought, so currently about 40% of my freezer space is beef
txhunter58 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 AM
  #3  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fountain, CO
Posts: 12
Default

Its all game meat everything from bison, yak, elk, deer and pronghorn. We haven't bought any meat from the store, other than bacon, for years. Also, owning your own meat processing business helps, I know all the good cuts and make our own summer sausage, breakfast sausage and jerky. Bison is of course what consumes our freezer the most, you get about 500-600 lbs of meat from the bulls I hunt.
High Plains Adventures is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Default

About 70% wild game for me.

I generally have moose, elk, two kinds of deer, pheasants, antelope, couple different kinds of fish in the freezer. I have an overflow freezer here at work that stays stocked yearround.
skb2706 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
  #5  
Super Moderator
 
Bocajnala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Trumbull County, Ohio
Posts: 8,414
Default

I buy some pork and sandwich meats, like bacon, sliced ham and turkey and salami. Other than that, I've not bought any beef in a long time. All the red meat and ground meat is deer. I also make jerky and bologna, both trail and sandwich. Also use waterfowl, small game and such. I don't really have a guess on the percent tho, maybe 80:20, Game:bought.
-Jake
Bocajnala is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 AM
  #6  
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 52
Default

25% wild game, 10% store bought, 65% Farm raised.
Sluggunhunter is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 AM
  #7  
Spike
 
HuntingConfessions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 37
Default

75 % of my diet consits of wild game, moose, deer, bear,duck, goose and fish. We do buy chicken and pork to eat the other 25 %.
HuntingConfessions is offline  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM
  #8  
Typical Buck
 
NJheadhunter71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 575
Default

I only eat chicken and the occasional burger when going out. I have got to the point were beef has a weird taste to me from eating so much venison. Any body else notice this ?
NJheadhunter71 is offline  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
  #9  
Super Moderator
 
Bocajnala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Trumbull County, Ohio
Posts: 8,414
Default

NJ,
I've noticed it. I still like a good steak if I go out, but regular ground burger meat tastes weird to me.
-Jake
Bocajnala is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.