Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
South Fork Area Elk Archery >

South Fork Area Elk Archery

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

South Fork Area Elk Archery

Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Spike

Default South Fork Area Elk Archery

Myself and a couple friends will be coming to the South Fork area Bow hunting. As far as I know, the whole area around there, aside from GMU 76, is OTC for archery. I was in South Fork in the 2010 season, scouting for upcoming trips(Like the one I am planning now), and I was told by some locals that the herd wasn't as thick anymore due to some heavy snows a few years back and many being killed.

I am wondering if through any of your knowledge if there is any truth to this or just speculation.

We are from Texas and this trip is going to cost us a lot of money. I am not opposed to going to a better area, so if you know of a better place, please, let me know, on the same hand however, if South Fork is still a good area, I would like to stay there since I am familiar with it.

Simply put, what is your opinion!

We are all experienced hunters, and enjoy the stalk.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Spike

Additionally, the areas we are looking at are 78, 80, and 81.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

What State? Colorado?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Spike

Yes sir, it is in Colorado. Over the past few days I have been doing a lot or reading and it seems that area is no longer what it once was. People seem to think it is getting crowded with too many hunters and not enough animals. Looking at 78, 80, and 81. Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Higgy,

PM topgun, you'll find him of great assistance !
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted the areas in and around 76 many times (including 79), and in the last few years have not seen quite as much game as the past. ATV usage (both legal and not) has been something of a problem in the San Juans, and can be obnoxious in more accessable units like 79. Law enforcement is attempting to control the abusive guys, but the areas are large. There are still plenty of elk around but they are staying high, or staying in the Aspen more than I think they did in the past.

Are you looking at the Alders, or is your focus up around Pool Table and Blue Creek?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the great knowledge.

Me and those going with me are all fairly young, around 30, and should not have a problem getting to the top to get above everyone else.

Big Uncle; I have only been to the area once, however my father in law, who will be going with us, has been many times, so I can't say that I know where Alders, blue Creek and Pool Table are. Will have to comb over my maps tonight to find them, then I will have an answer for you.
Sheridan; I will be mailing him here very shortly. Thanks for the contact.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Spike

Which topgun is it? There are many topgun's on here, hahaha.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Higgy,

He (topgun 3006) posted on this thread - 5 posts back.

I hope you can see / find elk better ! LoL !!!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Typical Buck

If it were me during that time of year. I'd stick to Unit 78 heading out of South Fork on Hwy 160 towards Pagosa Springs turn left onto Co Rd 667 aka the Old Elwood Pass road and head east. There's a larger fork of the road that turns to the right and dead ends back in there about 1 1/2 miles. Good place to start hunting from. This area is really rugged and holds quite a few elk. I wouldn't advise showing up early for scouting because in this type of terrain you'll wear yourself out fast. Quartz Creek and Rincon Basin is to the south also but even more rugged of an area to get into. If you don't mind putting your body to the test I'm sure it will pay off. Plenty of good area's to hunt around the South Fork area. North Mountain and Grey Back to the south of Del Norte holds some good hunting on the north facing slopes in Archery Season but there's some people hunting around you that time of year. Pool Table and Alder Creek can get hot and dry in archery season. It's not a bad hunt if you can locate a wallow or wet grass tucked in away from other hunters in the early part of the season. Good luck to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.