HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - South Fork Area Elk Archery
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

If it were me during that time of year. I'd stick to Unit 78 heading out of South Fork on Hwy 160 towards Pagosa Springs turn left onto Co Rd 667 aka the Old Elwood Pass road and head east. There's a larger fork of the road that turns to the right and dead ends back in there about 1 1/2 miles. Good place to start hunting from. This area is really rugged and holds quite a few elk. I wouldn't advise showing up early for scouting because in this type of terrain you'll wear yourself out fast. Quartz Creek and Rincon Basin is to the south also but even more rugged of an area to get into. If you don't mind putting your body to the test I'm sure it will pay off. Plenty of good area's to hunt around the South Fork area. North Mountain and Grey Back to the south of Del Norte holds some good hunting on the north facing slopes in Archery Season but there's some people hunting around you that time of year. Pool Table and Alder Creek can get hot and dry in archery season. It's not a bad hunt if you can locate a wallow or wet grass tucked in away from other hunters in the early part of the season. Good luck to you.