Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Defenders of Wildlife

Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Spike

Default Defenders of Wildlife

I am a newbie here but not to hunting.I saw an ad here where they were soliciting donations. Aren't they an anti hunting group?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fbhunts
I am a newbie here but not to hunting.I saw an ad here where they were soliciting donations. Aren't they an anti hunting group?
They claim they aren't, but they absolutely are anti-hunting. They were originally founded as "Defenders of Furbearers" and their goal was to outlaw trapping. They then broadened their name and claimed to be a conservation group, but they're 100% anti-hunting. I'm not sure if the site can sort their banner ads, but they certainly don't need to be promoting those nut jobs.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Are you sure? I would be amazed if a hunting site were running defenders ads. Thats outrageous. Any mods on here?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Spike

Default They are a "less extreme" anti-hunting group

Go to http://www.defenders.org to see the kind of activities they support.

They oppose the management of wolves by state wildlife agencies. If I remember correctly the opposed the extension of the cougar season in New Mexico and/or Utah. Neither were approved.

I doubt that you can find one instance that they in which they supported anything that would allow more hunting (in the name of conservation or not).
Old 11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

I studied under Karin Sheldon in law school. She's currently a board member, a former president, and former Chief Litigaiton Counsel for Defenders. She's about as anti hunting as you can imagine (she taught my endangered species law class). If you look at their board of directors, and litigation committee, its a whos who of the looney left.

Eric R. Glitzenstein, of Meyer Glitzenstein & Crystal, serves as HSUS's primary outside counsel.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TwoBear
Are you sure? I would be amazed if a hunting site were running defenders ads. Thats outrageous. Any mods on here?
I saw it too. It was a banner ad and I don't think Huntingnet actively selects those.