Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Spring bear hunting, Mt - nonresident >

Spring bear hunting, Mt - nonresident

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spring bear hunting, Mt - nonresident

Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by villreinen
I have now done some research and I found out that:

- The conservation license is not enough proof in order to bring my trusty rifle into the US. I need a valid hunting license.
- My hunter exam from norway is not valid in the united states although I've been a hunter for 6 years now.

So Im forced to take the hunter education course either online or in Bozeman when I arrive in January + a field day which is mandatory. How Im gonna bring my rifle or get a rifle is another question.. Suggestions?
A couple of options. Call the Bozeman Police Department and ask them if you are allowed to legally purchase a firearm as a citizen of Norway on a student visa. If they don't know they should be able to give you some contacts for who can. You can also try the Gallatin County Sheriff's office. Another possibility is calling a sporting goods store in Bozeman like Powderhorn Outfitters or Bob Wards. They sell firearms all the time so they're familiar with the paperwork requirements. If you're allowed to buy one just pick one up when you get there and then just sell it before you leave if you don't want to take it back.

The other option I can think of is to go through the hunter safety course, get your hunting license and have somebody in Norway ship your rifle to you (presuming Norway allows that). It would have to be shipped to an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder (usually a sporting goods store or gunsmith) and they charge a minimal fee to process the paperwork and give you your rifle.

The thing is just call around and ask questions.