Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: Ultimate Elk Cartridge?
7mm Rem. Mag.
14.29%
.300 WSM/Win.Mag.
26.19%
.300 Wby/RUM/ 30-378wby
2.38%
.338 Win.Mag
16.67%
.340 Wby/.338 RUM/Edge/338-378wby
11.90%
.375 H&H/Ruger
4.76%
.30-06
16.67%
other, list if so
7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Ultimate Elk Cartridge?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Sure the '06 can do it, but looking at the title of the thread, the ultimate rifle for this shot, its late, its a ways off etc. Only way I would choose the '06, is if that was all I was limited to shoot in my life. Far better rounds listed for the job listed and I own no less then 5 on the list. I'd choose the 375, the 300RUM, the 300 win, the 7mm rem mag, in that order. Now if I was one of those guys who cant shoot a magnum accurately, then the '06 is a no brainer. But, if I own it, Im going to shoot it well, or sell it.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Spike

I absolutely love my 338 RUM. I wouldnt go elk hunting without it. I load my own 225 Swift Siroccos and practice with that gun out to 500 yards. We set up multiple targets and even measured groups for averages and made up cheat sheets. Some people might laugh but when your out hunting big game and they are out 4 or 500 hundred yards, you dont want to be debating on how high to hold. We laminated the cheat sheets and taped them to the stock with clear ducttape. If you take your time doing it it doesnt look bad either. Kinda off topic a bit but just saying that if you know your gun well enough and are confident in it, it is worth taking the shot. I would take that same shot with my 7mm RM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted with the 30-06 since the early 60's. I've never felt under gunned once. Here's an article by Wayne van Zwoll who feels the same way.

http://www.rmef.org/Hunting/RifleCart/Rifles/30-06.htm
Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

If we're talking ultimate elk cartridge up to 400-500 yards it's going to be pretty hard to beat the 378 Weatherby. It has flat enough trajectory for pin point shot placement and a ton of energy when it gets there. I've owned one, I didn't like paying $5 dollars every time I pulled the trigger. That was a major set back and I should of reloaded for it.

The is no substitute for proper shot placement. None, zip, zero. Practice and knowing your rifles trajectories are worth more than any amount of bullet weight flung down range. Elk aren't that tough until you blow a front leg off one and try to run it into the ground to get it killed. You better eat your wheaties for that experience.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

For me, 400yds is a long way. If you shoot and it runs off a bit, it's in the park. Now what? For me I let it walk. Maybe next time.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
If we're talking ultimate elk cartridge up to 400-500 yards it's going to be pretty hard to beat the 378 Weatherby. It has flat enough trajectory for pin point shot placement and a ton of energy when it gets there. I've owned one, I didn't like paying $5 dollars every time I pulled the trigger. That was a major set back and I should of reloaded for it.

The is no substitute for proper shot placement. None, zip, zero. Practice and knowing your rifles trajectories are worth more than any amount of bullet weight flung down range. Elk aren't that tough until you blow a front leg off one and try to run it into the ground to get it killed. You better eat your wheaties for that experience.
DEAR GOD when did elk become so tough? A 378? HOLY ISRAELI WEST BANKERS thats insane to lug around for elk.

A 30/06 with a 180 TSX is MORE than capable of that shot, but honestly 95% of the flat landers taking that shot aren't capable and most have NEVER fired a rifle at a 400yd target before a hunt!

A 378? Really?
HL
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Well around here we see a conglomoration of guns from 30/30s to the biggest I saw was a 416 rigby....but realy guys most folks here use 30.06, 270 and most shots are taken at usually 300yds or more with 4/500 yds being the norm....anyone that has hunted the sagebrush will agree that if U don't shoot at those ranges U might as well stay home cause ya just aint never gonna get an animal....just sayin
Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took my elk this year at 70 yds with a primitive Hawken and PRB (patched round ball.)

I think some need to learn to spot and stalk. Instead of spot and shoot.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Yes muley .....we all know U be the epitome of the great hunters an everone else don't know squat BLA bla BLA Bla cause iffn we aint doin it yer way we be doin it wrong....the great expert muley has spoken...I normally don't bad mouth others methods till I hunted their hunt....but in your long and successful career as a great hunter I'm sure you've hunted the wide open sage covered canyons in Washington state day in and day out..............................
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by finnbear
Yes muley .....we all know U be the epitome of the great hunters an everone else don't know squat BLA bla BLA Bla cause iffn we aint doin it yer way we be doin it wrong....the great expert muley has spoken...I normally don't bad mouth others methods till I hunted their hunt....but in your long and successful career as a great hunter I'm sure you've hunted the wide open sage covered canyons in Washington state day in and day out..............................
If I was talking to you. I would have quoted you. Like I did here.

Do you feel better after your childish rant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.