Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dry Feet

Old 09-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dry Feet

Looking for help in waterproofing my hunting boots. I know that this isn't specifically a "Big Game Hunting" question, but am sure that having dry feet while hunting big game or any other for that matter is very important. Is there a spray-on or brush-on waterproofing product that anybody can recommend? Not sure exactly what matls mine are made of. Combination of leather and maybe a nylon in camo. They keep my feet somewhat dry but doesn't take a whole lot of water to penetrate. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I depend on Gore-Tex. I'm not sure any spray will work 100%.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks MH. It may not matter but my boots are LaCross with Thinsilate and leather uppers and as it says on inside of tongue and other man made materials.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

most chemicals will dry out your leather and crack it over time. I use wet seal, mink oil, and a product made by danner for my leather boots. I have used camp dry on the nylon uppers of my Irish setters but it doesn't take long for it to wear off.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Spike

I use a product called Sno Seal on my leather boots. Clean the boots, make sure they are dry, then rub it in by hand, making sure to get the seems really good, around the tongue, etc....then use a blow drier to 'melt' the SS into the leather. Ive also put them in a warm oven after applying, but make sure the wife isnt home!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your boots are quality boots that you don't want to screw up, I would suggest you find a phone number for the manufacturer, phone them, and ask them what they recommend. I damaged some high quality boots I had by putting sno-seal on them. This is not the intended conditioner for the boot I had, and the result was that I waterproofed them . . . both ways. Water didn't get in, water couldn't get out. The latter was bad for my feet, as my feet perspire and my boots then would not breath and dissipate this moisure. Naturally my skin got overly soft, my heels blistered, and that was not fun on a 6 day backpacking trip. In the days of the Internet and cheap long-distance phone calss there is no reason not to look up their customer service number and call them to get it right. On the other hand . . . if you don't care whether you screw up your boots or not, never mind.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advise. Calling them might be a good idea, had'nt even thought about that. They're good boots but wouldn't call them high quality but no sense in messing them up when a phone call might be the ticket.