Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Elk Colorado Advice?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default DIY Elk Colorado Advice?

Hi everybody I am looking into trying to set up a DIY elk hunt with my dad and brother. The only time that we would be able to hunt would be in either late December or early January since me and my brother have school. From the info I have got from the Colorado DOW website they issue leftover tags after the 4th season. But I am not getting how these tags are issued. Are they over the counter or draw? And do they only offer them in certain units? I am currently looking at unit 85 in the San Isabel national forest on the western part of the forest. We are trying to stay in the souther part of the state. Also are any of the Plains units any good for hunting I have noticed that all of these units are dual sex and are open Sept. 1st thru Jan. 31st. Do you guys have a better suggestion for which unit to go to. Also we would be limited to only about 6 days of hunting max. Is this enough? We all are capable of shooting out to 300 and maybe a little further and my brother is efficient out to 500 with his 300 RUM so if we can get with in that distance we can close the deal. We are planning on going up the mountain in the mornings and then coming back down to a hotel at night. I have also read that the later seasons are better since the elk are lower down on the mountain due to the weather. We have an artic cat four wheeler to get up the mountain but are more than willing to hoof it around if needed and we understand that we will need to leave the fourwheeler to get to where the elk are. Any help or suggestions will be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks, West

Last edited by westtexducks; 09-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I never hunted in that general area after the second season. Going after the 4th season you will be really limited by snow.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I am also looking into units 82 and 86 after looking at the maps of the area some more and do know how the Left Over tag system works? This really has me stumped.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

No I am sorry but I don't know anything about left over tags. I have hunted area 83 and part of 85 and 861 for the past 5 years with great success. The first year I went 1st season and all the rest were 2nd season. Every year during second season we have been dumped with snow at least one day. I understand that 3rd season in that part of Colorado quite a bit of snow can be expected and 4th season is bad from what I understand. We hunt the elk from 8000 to about 11500 during the second season. You will probably have to have hunting land you can hunt in the valley after the 4th season since the deep snow drives the elk down. I understand there is some good hunting right around Fort Garland late season after they come out of the mountains but I haven't been there for that. Having public land to hunt on might be a problem though.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info about the snow I am going to have to look into what the snow is going to be like in early january. Do you know what the hunting is like around Rasberry and Kruger mountains? Will this area be under snow and be inaccessible in January? I have read and heard that heavy snow fall is good for pushing the elk out from the tops. Thanks for the info. It is good to hear that there are elk up there.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by westtexducks
Thanks for the info about the snow I am going to have to look into what the snow is going to be like in early january. Do you know what the hunting is like around Rasberry and Kruger mountains? Will this area be under snow and be inaccessible in January? I have read and heard that heavy snow fall is good for pushing the elk out from the tops. Thanks for the info. It is good to hear that there are elk up there.
When the snow is too deep for elk up high its wayyy to deep for man. And when they come down they usually come down onto priv ranchland. Thats the fly in the ointment. You have to get the permission worked out first. But it is worth doing. Call DOW office in Alamosa and talk to them, I bet they can put you on the track to a late hunt.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info Silvertip. On these private ranches what does the price usually run for a pure diy where all you are paying for is access to the property? I am operating on a short budget trying to keep it under $600 dollars per person including tags. The max I would spend inclusive with everything is about 750 a person. Do you have any suggestions? and I will call the DOW tomorrow and pick their brains. Do you know of any units that would not be under snow in January where the elk would move to? Can you hunt the Spanish Peaks wildlife area because this looks to be low enough in elevation it would not be snowed in and on the MapIt it shows this area to be a prime wintering area for the elk. Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure about access fees thats why I highly recommend calling DOW office in Alamosa. They can also tell you about summer elk hunts in SLV in u682 and maybe u791. Or across hwy in u82. I forget. Ask them. And good luck hunting.