HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY Elk Colorado Advice?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 12:39 PM
westtexducks
Fork Horn

Default DIY Elk Colorado Advice?

Hi everybody I am looking into trying to set up a DIY elk hunt with my dad and brother. The only time that we would be able to hunt would be in either late December or early January since me and my brother have school. From the info I have got from the Colorado DOW website they issue leftover tags after the 4th season. But I am not getting how these tags are issued. Are they over the counter or draw? And do they only offer them in certain units? I am currently looking at unit 85 in the San Isabel national forest on the western part of the forest. We are trying to stay in the souther part of the state. Also are any of the Plains units any good for hunting I have noticed that all of these units are dual sex and are open Sept. 1st thru Jan. 31st. Do you guys have a better suggestion for which unit to go to. Also we would be limited to only about 6 days of hunting max. Is this enough? We all are capable of shooting out to 300 and maybe a little further and my brother is efficient out to 500 with his 300 RUM so if we can get with in that distance we can close the deal. We are planning on going up the mountain in the mornings and then coming back down to a hotel at night. I have also read that the later seasons are better since the elk are lower down on the mountain due to the weather. We have an artic cat four wheeler to get up the mountain but are more than willing to hoof it around if needed and we understand that we will need to leave the fourwheeler to get to where the elk are. Any help or suggestions will be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks, West

Last edited by westtexducks; 09-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.