Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Decisions...decisions...

Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Decisions...decisions...

I live in WV and have been planning a big game hunt, out west for next year.
I will probably be elk hunting or maybe buffalo...
My question is this...I have never been on a big game hunt before.... Should I go through a guide or my chances just as good on my own on public land?
Looking toward the Colorado,Wyoming, Montana areas...
Old 09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are wanting to hunt west, and are looking at Wyoming, but are concerned about the logistics and scope of the matter, look into eastern Wyoming for antelope. Find some areas that have good draw odds and allow a person to hunt private land by a tresspass fee. There are still areas that don't fill in the first draw, and licenses are available up until the season starts. That would be my suggestion.

Marcial
Old 09-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

buffalo and elk are two totally different hunts. As has been mentioned, an antelope hunt in WY. makes for a great first western hunt with great success rates at a reasonable price.
If you can afford it, going with an outfitter might be the best way to go for a first elk hunt. Once you get an idea of how to do it and what it takes, then doing it on your own won't seem so over whelming.
As far as I'm concerned, buffalo and elk hunting don't even belong in the same sentence because elk hunting is king and once you get around a bugling bull or two, you'll see why.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

One thing I do know.... I may want to kill a trophy, but I don't want to kill a penned up pet.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want a trophy 300" 6x6 on up, getting an outfitter/guide/private land would certainly lend itself to getting a "trophy" better than public land.

A bison hunt will almost require private land, less you get lucky in a draw for a buffalo somewhere. They probably offer DIY private land/buffalo hunts though.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Any elk is a trophy when you haven't hunted for them. They are the top end game from what I can say. Cow or bull they taste great and are an awesome animal to hunt. Hearing that bull screaming at you is a rush. So far I have done 5 DIY rifle hunts with 4 elk killed, 2 cows and 2 bulls. This year I have drawn a muley tag and will probably get an OTC bull tag too. I am trying to get together a DIY pack in bow hunt next year.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've answered this very question for others to help. As a flatlander from upstate NY, I was in same boat in 06'. But I wanted Colorado- Elk for sure. I spoke to others, did research. I didn't have a great income, and raising a family to boot. But I realized going out on my own hunting in a mountain wilderness for a animal I'd never chased before. Well that might be asking too much to save a few $. I wanted it to be a good experience, becasue I never knew if I'd ever get to do it again. So I decided to go fully guided with a outfitter. Spend the $, just worry about getting out there with my gear. Well let me tell you, to this day I have NO regrets. Its a whole new world in the Western Mtns.. I can't imagine going out w/o someone knowing what to do. Either a fellow hunter or outfitter.
The only bad part about it all, was I ended up enjoying it so much I;'ve since been back 2 more times, and going out for a 4th trip this fall. But I'm now going DIY from the experience I got with the Outfitter, and guides I had.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks...thats just what I wanted to know....I didn't want to spent 2-3 grand on a hunt and come back no better off than if I went it alone. I don't mind spending the money if I get something worth the money. .. On the other hand, I don't want to kill a penned up elk roaming around on a couple hundred acres. Just isn't hunting to me... Now, how do I decide on what outfitter??...there are hundreds of them out there.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll send you a P.M.. Just remember though its hunting, and theres no guarentee's in fair chase hunting.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

Champlain is 100% right on the Elk being a trophy for the first time. 300 class bulls are not just handed out on a regular basis. There's a ton of work and luck involved in a trophy elk hunt especially if your hunting public land vs private land. Trophy elk units take years and years to draw and there's no guarantee that will even get you one over 300 class. A 300 class bull needs to be somewhere around 4' tall and 4' wide with tines around 15" just to reach that mark. A 300 class bull in the woods is going to look like a monster. 350" and above will put the shakes in your trigger finger. And the last time I looked there was only something like 35 400 class entries in boone n crockett club since 2006 but I didn't look at last years entries. So that's all hype when an outfitter advertises 400" elk. If they are 400" they probably are penned or on a private ranch. Very few get taken each year and the odds are slim. Sorry about the trophy watch. LOL

Ktbearpaws, I would go first rifle season. The elk are still in rut at least they are in Colorado and large herds where you have a chance of seeing multiple bulls in herds. It's only 5 days to hunt but the best five days of the year. As far as an outfitter I'd worry more about location like being back away from people in a remote camp. DIY hunters score all the time and probably have almost as good as success rate after going one or two times into the same area and learning where the elk feed, bed, and travel from one place to the other. Watching and learning escape routes is a great way to kill elk year after year if your in a area with some hunting pressure. I like elk hunting because there is no absolutes and every year your going to learn something new. If you want to book an outfitter make sure you call the forest service and have a talk with them about the outfitter could save you a lot of headache. Good luck.