HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Decisions...decisions...
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 AM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

I've answered this very question for others to help. As a flatlander from upstate NY, I was in same boat in 06'. But I wanted Colorado- Elk for sure. I spoke to others, did research. I didn't have a great income, and raising a family to boot. But I realized going out on my own hunting in a mountain wilderness for a animal I'd never chased before. Well that might be asking too much to save a few $. I wanted it to be a good experience, becasue I never knew if I'd ever get to do it again. So I decided to go fully guided with a outfitter. Spend the $, just worry about getting out there with my gear. Well let me tell you, to this day I have NO regrets. Its a whole new world in the Western Mtns.. I can't imagine going out w/o someone knowing what to do. Either a fellow hunter or outfitter.
The only bad part about it all, was I ended up enjoying it so much I;'ve since been back 2 more times, and going out for a 4th trip this fall. But I'm now going DIY from the experience I got with the Outfitter, and guides I had.