Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

"They" never get it right

Old 06-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default "They" never get it right

Who are these people? The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service idiots That declared the Eastern Mountain Lion extinct. Whenever "they" say something isn't there you can bet your last dollar that it IS there. Here is the story!
Mysterious mountain lion killed in Connecticut

By Lauren Keiper Lauren Keiper – Sat Jun 11, 5:23 pm ET
BOSTON (Reuters) – A mountain lion was killed just 70 miles from New York City early on Saturday morning and officials were trying to determine if it was the same big cat spotted a week ago roaming the posh suburb of Greenwich, Connecticut.
The 140-pound mountain lion was hit by a small SUV on a highway in Milton, Connecticut early Saturday morning, and died from its injuries. The driver was unhurt, officials said.
With no native mountain lion population in the state, "it's possible and even likely" it is the same enormous cat with a long tail spotted last weekend in the New York City suburb some 30 miles away, said Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Dennis Schain.
The large cat was transferred to a state environmental facility where authorities will use the photos, paw prints and other evidence collected near the three Greenwich sightings to determine if it is the same animal.
Traveling between the two cities would be a jog for this large cat known to roam extensively, even up to a couple hundred miles in a day, said Schain.
The eastern mountain lion was officially declared extinct earlier this year, prompting authorities to suspect the animal spotted in the urban jungle of the New York City metropolitan area, had either escaped or was released from captivity.
The closest confirmed population of mountain lions is in Missouri, half way across the country.
Mountain lions, also known as a cougar or puma, are lone animals that in the east primarily preyed on white-tailed deer.
"By and large, cougars want to stay as far away from people as they possibly can because they are so solitary," said Bob Wilson, a co-founder of The Cougar Network, an organization devoted to tracking and researching the animal.
Wilson said mountain lions like to hunt in the shadows and it would be a very remote chance to encounter the cat.
The eastern cougar was hunted and trapped "relentlessly" and gone from much of the region by the late 1800s, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Around the same time its habitat was destroyed by deforestation and the population of its prey declined.

Need I say more!
Live it up! Doug
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

sup ks..been a minute. i would bet it was a pet er sumthin, just got loose, and noone will come forward cause they prolly didnt have the proper licensing.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
sup ks..been a minute. i would bet it was a pet er sumthin, just got loose, and noone will come forward cause they prolly didnt have the proper licensing.
Hey half.... Do you work for the USFWS cuz that's just what "They" Said. Just kiddin and that could very well be true on this particular animal. "They" also said there were no mountain lions in Kansas which now "They" finally admit there are! But you know the locals from all over the state had been spottin em from time to time. I don't really put any trust in what "they" say because " They always seem to have their head up their tailpipe..........Just sayin! Have a good one!
Live it up! Doug
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Spike

i live in wisconsin and the dnr also had reported no cats here also. thats all bull. the dnr here claims we have a deer problem and what better of an animal to reduce the so called population. so if you have a so called deer population problem look into the fish and game for releasing them. shoot them up
Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i would bet it was a pet er sumthin, just got loose, and noone will come forward cause they prolly didnt have the proper licensing.
I don't believe that line either. When a mountain lion was severely injured (later killed by law enforcement) by a car not far from downtown KC a few years ago, they used that same line. It is my understanding that when they did an autopsy, it was determined this mountain lion had not been a pet or captive animal; and it had been eating wild game.

There have been states where a mountain lion has been killed by the authorities. However, if you ask the wildlife officials of that state they will most likely respond there are no confirmed sightings. Getting a 'confirmed sighting' is almost impossible unless a person who is not part of the wildlife service kills one for proof. I know of incidents where photos or paw prints in hard, compacted snow were shown to confirm a sighting. The response of the wildlife officials was it was a big tom cat. IMO, the wildlife officials quite often are not honest. If we knew what really went on, I believe we would all be shocked.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

You guys should be thrilled that they declared the eastern cougar extinct. If they hadn't you can guarantee the anti's with Defenders of Wildlife, Center for Biological Diversity and HSUS would sue to have them listed as endangered and the problems that come with that are enormous. Any of you that live and hunt and enjoy the outdoors in the eastern cougar range should thank your lucky stars that the USFWS classified them as extinct.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

even up to a couple hundred miles in a day, said Schain.
That seems a little bit off to me.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Several mountain lions have tracking devices, so this is how they claim up to 200 miles in a day. One has to wonder if they were not a stowaway on a train, boat or barge.