Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What are your reasons for hunting? >

What are your reasons for hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What are your reasons for hunting?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt because I love to play, recreate, and travel.
I hunt to conserve and preserve.
I hunt to eat.
I hunt to get away.
I hunt to meet and greet both old and new companions.
I hunt to enjoy life, realizing at the same time that death is so final.
I hunt because instinctively it seems so right and an appropriate thing to do.
I hunt because I realize what a great priviledge it is (this priviledge is greatly absent in other parts of the world)- founding fathers! And Thank God I was born American!

I hunt because there would be a void in my life if I didn't...

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 06-12-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt more of a family tradition. My family hunted in Wyoming when I was real young for the meat. That was a lot of our diet. We moved to NV and didn't hunt for several years, then I got the urge to go at about 14 years old. I haven't shot a trophy deer, and I have killed 3 cow elk. I guess the tradition of living off of nature's bounty is still strong in me. Then in 2005, I ended up with a couple coon hounds, and have been adicted to hunting lions since then. The thrill of the chase, and watching and hearing the hounds do what they were bred to do is simply amazing. I have killed two lions, and actually, I like them for their meat as well. But they do make a fine trophy on the wall. But its not just a trophy, I think of it as more of a preservation of the fine predator that the lion once was.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM
DAX
Spike

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
I hunt because I love to play, recreate, and travel.
I hunt to conserve and preserve.
I hunt to eat.
I hunt to get away.
I hunt to meet and greet both old and new companions.
I hunt to enjoy life, realizing at the same time that death is so final.
I hunt because instinctively it seems so right and an appropriate thing to do.
I hunt because I realize what a great priviledge it is (this priviledge is greatly absent in other parts of the world)- founding fathers! And Thank God I was born American!

I hunt because there would be a void in my life if I didn't...
You said it right!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting -- and elk hunting is exemplary for me -- is rewarding to me because it is an integrated experience. That calls for some decompression and expansion, because there is a lot lurking in that "integrated experience" phrase.

It gives me the opportunity to breath fresh air, to exercise, to enjoy the physical power of my body. Nothing better than hiking, climbing in the mountains at about 11,000', unless it is hiking and climbing in the mountains at about 12,000' . It gives me the opportunity to observe nature and to be with nature. I like to watch and see wildlife of all kinds. I like to see the trees. I like to see waters flowing without the distraction of bridges and other artificial constructions.

Hunting involves "being in nature" in a special way. It involves getting into the mind of the quary. Where would an elk want to be at this time of day? Given the disposition of vegetation on this ridge, given the time of day, given the disposition of water, what is an elk going to do? I need to solve that problem, using my brain, using my previously acquired knowledge of both the quary and of the hunting ground -- and the hunting ground can be pretty extensive and pretty complicated. I put myself in the shadow where I can see and shoot but without being seen. I try to be as still and silent as possible while sitting from an ambush. Meanwhile, as I watch and wait for my elk, my mind is free to meditate and wander in a very peaceful and happy way. If I were just sitting there for the purpose of reflecting or "enjoying nature," I think I might be self-conscious and have a hard time sinking into this peaceful, free state. I think of how many other people before me have been down this path and how this is a shared and common experience. Figuring out a way to find and get close enough to a game animal to kill it so you can eat it. You see things you don't see when you are in the city or even if you are out in nature but are not a hunter. The experience of being in nature in this special way is enjoyable to me. I think most experienced hunters will have experienced what I am describing only poorly. This is perhaps the most enjoyable part of hunting for me. When this leads to me and the elk being where I can get a good shot off, this is the punctuation to this experience.

I take pleasure in learning and using the myriad specialized skills needed to hunt proficiently. In elk hunting, this may include camping at high altitude and making yourself comfortable in this circumstance. It is going to involve caring for your kill -- field dressing, skinning, cutting into manageably sized portions, transporting these portions back to camp or your truck. Then it involves butchering this meat and cooking it. Being able to use a knife skillfully so I can take my elk apart without wasted meat gives me pleasure. Being able to find my way to my desired hunting spot in the dark gives me pleasure. Handling your firearm skillfully is also part of it. Going on such a hunt with others, sharing a hunting camp with others is yet a further dimension to this pleasure -- to be able to share your experience and thoughts with them, to receive their experience and thoughts, in the context that you are all dialed in on the same experience and living the same experience. That is really special. Helping them out when it is in your power to help them out. Having them help you out when you need help.

And all of these myriad aspects all come together in one integrated, hollistic experience.

I prefer do-it-yourself hunting, because for me the greatest value of the experience comes from doing it all myself. This extends to butchering my own meat and cooking it myself. All of this gives me a lot of pleasure that extends to having my family and guests sit at my table an enjoy the meal I have prepared, based on game meat.

Speaking for myself, my evaluation of my hunting success has nothing to do with the size of antlers or number of points. In fact, I'm just as likely or more likely to take a cow elk as a bull. To me I'm hunting for all the above reasons, and these reasons are little related to quantitative metrics.

At least some of my enjoyment of hunting derives from the difference of this experience from my day-to-day life. I live in flat land in a suburb just north of Dallas, Texas. I work in an office, working with patent documents. In the office, I thrive based on my patent skills, my language skills. A largely different set of skills and constraints prevail in the elk hunting zone -- although it should be appreciated that hunting is not brainless -- far from it, good analytical skills are needed to figure out the hunting problem, to solve the hunting problem.

Last edited by Alsatian; 06-14-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Spike

I hunt because...

I was born into the sport
I grew up doing it
It provides the most natural food on earth
The peace
The quiet
The beauty of the life outside the concrete jungle
relieves stress
to enjoy the home god provided us with
to watch, listen to, and enjoy the everyday life of the animals that roam the woods
the preservation/conservation
the challenge
Old 06-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Spike

I live a subsistence lifestyle. And I love it.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Spike

I grew up in the woods. My first gun was a bb gun. I got it at the tender age of 5. My father taught me how to aim, when to shoot, how to carry the gun, etc. As I got older he and I started hunting together all the time. Mostly we were quail hunters. But being out in the fields with him were some of the best times I ever had. Unfortunately he's passed on now, but I still hunt. I enjoy going out for whitetail, turkey, crow, frogs, just about anything. It brings back a lot of fond memories. I know that if I ever have any children I'm going to try to develop the interest in hunting for them the way my father did for me.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt because it is who I am. It is an inner calling that I couldn't possibly ignore for any reason.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Spike

some days i don't know why i hunt i am very new to hunting and i am still learning but i will say some days it's the best sleep i get
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Spike

It is in my blood. My old man taught me to hunt when I was a youngster. I began hunting because it was a way for me to get him to myself. I loved being in the woods just the two of us. I continue to hunt because it is an opportunity to slow the pace of my busy lifestyle, clear my head, and think about the countless blessings I have to be thankful for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.