Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting Boots

Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't wear real boots unless the weather is bad. I'll wear a light pair of Columbia hikers or a pair of high top tennis shoes. When you are hiking a ton in the mountains, lighter is better. If the weather is bad or if it could be, I wear a pair of Cabelas brand boots that I got a ways back. As much as I don't like Cabelas, (recently thier customer service sucks) I have had great luck with Cabelas brand priducts.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Amen to the comment about Cabela's customer service comment. I buy as much as I can not at Cabela's.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a pair of the new Danner Pronghorns last year and I didn't believe the reviews about them leaking but I do now. I took them out in the snow we had down here in January and they were leaking within 30 minutes. I did get some Danner leather boot cleaner and waterproofing and after three applications they stopped leaking, but I had to ask myself if I would have to do that after every time I wore them. I kept them because they are an extremely comfortable boot for walking and good mild/cold weater boot (400 gr Thinsulate). And no, the new Pronghorns are made in China, I believe.

I also have some old Irish Setter Big Game Hunter GTX boots that are very comfortable to walk in, warm (800 gr Thinsulate), and don't leak. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

Most of the time, here in Texas and Arkansas, where I hunt, I wear Redhead snake boots. I have both the Redhead Ultras (comfortable but not waterproof as claimed) and the Redhead Rubber Snake boots (waterproof but not comfortable for a lot of walking).
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I buy as much as I can from Cabela's & I know I am going to pay a little more for it.

However, then I call them and they look up my history they say; "How can I help you Sheridan".

I spend most of my money on hunting & shooting equipment, and wasted the rest....................... LOL !
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Spike

I bought a pair of irish setter boots a couple years back and they have been excellent. Keep me nice and toasty during some the colorado weather and are very comfortable when I'm putting on alot of miles. If its super warm out and I am scouting I typically just wear my timberland hiking boots; another great product.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Far as Cabelas, I prefer them well over the top 3 being Bass Pro's, and Gander Mtn. I like their products, and their shipping is fabulous. Anything I order I have it within 4 days at reg. shipping. Bass Pro's takes 10days to get to my place., and thats if its not back ordered. I've had alot of back orders w/Bass Pro's. I was just at Bass Pro's in Auburn, and the 2 things I needed they didn't have. 1 being a set scope rings for 1" scope w/50mm objective. 1 man behind counter told me the 40mm objective rings would work ok. I asked another, and he looked up my rifle & scope in books. Told me No those will not work, which I figured. So personally I'm not big on Bass Pro's. I also love Cabelas stores over any the Bass Pro's I've been in.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by AK Jeff
I second that. I've worn the same pair of Hardscrabble's on numerous sheep, caribou, goat, moose, deer, and elk hunts. They've always been comfortable and still look great even after a lot of really rough miles. They'll be on my feet every waking minute that I'll be in the Alaska Range chasing sheep this August.

http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-420-HK
+3 Great boot, myself and guides own them.