HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Boots
Thread: Hunting Boots
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 AM
GRIZZLYMAN
Nontypical Buck

I bought a pair of the new Danner Pronghorns last year and I didn't believe the reviews about them leaking but I do now. I took them out in the snow we had down here in January and they were leaking within 30 minutes. I did get some Danner leather boot cleaner and waterproofing and after three applications they stopped leaking, but I had to ask myself if I would have to do that after every time I wore them. I kept them because they are an extremely comfortable boot for walking and good mild/cold weater boot (400 gr Thinsulate). And no, the new Pronghorns are made in China, I believe.

I also have some old Irish Setter Big Game Hunter GTX boots that are very comfortable to walk in, warm (800 gr Thinsulate), and don't leak. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

Most of the time, here in Texas and Arkansas, where I hunt, I wear Redhead snake boots. I have both the Redhead Ultras (comfortable but not waterproof as claimed) and the Redhead Rubber Snake boots (waterproof but not comfortable for a lot of walking).