Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Montana elk tags 100% draw. >

Montana elk tags 100% draw.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana elk tags 100% draw.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
How is access in that area? horses needed?

Region 3 is way down in numbers and quality, talked to many locals who have hunted 20+ years there and all agreed, 10 years ago you'd see 5x as many elk.

I'm willing to bet, that almost any limited tag area in MT produces better bigger elk than any general tag elk area.

btw I never said there wasn't enough public land in MT to hunt, there's plenty of public land, even for general tags, my point is if you want 300+ bull elk, I'd pass on hunting a general tag on public land in MT.
Access is great, don't need a horse, but in some areas they are definately a huge help. The elk numbers here are up pretty good and the quality of the bulls is excellent. We had several bulls last year that were taken that were in excess of 350 and few even got near the 385-400 range.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Spike

Dude, of course a limited entry area is gonna produce better bulls. I just moved back to my native Pa after several years in Mt. I filled my Elk tag EVERY year onpublic land. It all depends on how much effort you put in. I also have spots on private ground that i secured for my father (non res) without knowing the owner. All by knocking on doors and research. If you dont kill an Elk in Mt, perhaps you shouldnt blame it on anything or anyone but yourself.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

You can kill 300"+ bulls on nearly ever unit of public land in Montana. Great mule deer and river bottom whitetails as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scottb3472
Access is great, don't need a horse, but in some areas they are definately a huge help. The elk numbers here are up pretty good and the quality of the bulls is excellent. We had several bulls last year that were taken that were in excess of 350 and few even got near the 385-400 range.
So true! If you put in the effort you will get what your looking for (if you have reasonable expectations). As far as public land elk hunting goes its hard to beat MT in my opinion. Let me put it this way... if I was a non-res. I would fork out $900 for a tag instantly.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by South33
So true! If you put in the effort you will get what your looking for (if you have reasonable expectations). As far as public land elk hunting goes its hard to beat MT in my opinion. Let me put it this way... if I was a non-res. I would fork out $900 for a tag instantly.
Do you always let yourself be ripped off? Whether you can afford it or not has nothing to do with it. What makes an elk licence worth $900 this year over what it cost last year?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Spike

I do think it is rediculous that they raised the cost of tags as much as they did. Hunting used to be something that we did for our winters meat or to spend time with family and friends. But in the last several years it seems that hunting has become just another big business monster. I guess that they figure that the guy who only gets 2 weeks vacation and wants to spend it with his kids to try to pass on this great heritage doesn't need to come to Montana, only those that have very deep pockets should come here because only they are worthy of hunting our animals.

Just goes to show you that not all the idiots were elected and sent of to Washington D.C., some of them were sent to Helena too.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scottb3472
I do think it is rediculous that they raised the cost of tags as much as they did. Hunting used to be something that we did for our winters meat or to spend time with family and friends. But in the last several years it seems that hunting has become just another big business monster. I guess that they figure that the guy who only gets 2 weeks vacation and wants to spend it with his kids to try to pass on this great heritage doesn't need to come to Montana, only those that have very deep pockets should come here because only they are worthy of hunting our animals.

Just goes to show you that not all the idiots were elected and sent of to Washington D.C., some of them were sent to Helena too.
Actually, it was the citizens of Montana, not the legislators, that passed this law via the inituitive process.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Do you always let yourself be ripped off? Whether you can afford it or not has nothing to do with it. What makes an elk licence worth $900 this year over what it cost last year?
Hold on a minute here. Montana elk/deer combo includes upland bird and fishing for 912.00. Colorado elk/deer is 888.00. Montana seasons are a lot longer, less hunting pressure and better quality bulls. I am not in support of high NR fees, but Colorado certainly is not better.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TwoBear
Hold on a minute here. Montana elk/deer combo includes upland bird and fishing for 912.00. Colorado elk/deer is 888.00. Montana seasons are a lot longer, less hunting pressure and better quality bulls. I am not in support of high NR fees, but Colorado certainly is not better.
How much for just a bull elk licence in Montana?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TwoBear
Actually, it was the citizens of Montana, not the legislators, that passed this law via the inituitive process.
That is true, Thanks for pointing that out. i sometimes let my emotions get the best of me......lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.