Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk/mule deer

Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default CO elk/mule deer

May try to hunt elk/mulies in CO next year 2012.

From what I gather, the last rifle mule deer season is usually the best, or closest to the rut? seems like draw odds can drastically change from 3rd to 4th season, ie requiring 3pts for 3rd, vs. 13pts for 4th?

Is archery elk the best time to hunt elk in CO?
Which is the best rifle season to hunt elk?

Trying to come up with a elk/mule deer combo hunt plan for 2012.

OTC unlimited rifle elk tags don't sound very exciting especially if you're in the same unit with a limited draw mule deer tag.

The focus is on a quality mule deer buck however, and if I can toss on an elk rifle tag that would be nice, case I see a big boy, but are the odds of seeing a 300" bull during say the 3rd or 4th deer season near impossible?

perhaps a bow elk/bow mulie hunt would be better/easier to plan especially for quality, but taking a big mulie with a bow seems pretty tough! am I wrong?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
May try to hunt elk/mulies in CO next year 2012.

From what I gather, the last rifle mule deer season is usually the best, or closest to the rut? seems like draw odds can drastically change from 3rd to 4th season, ie requiring 3pts for 3rd, vs. 13pts for 4th?

Is archery elk the best time to hunt elk in CO?
Which is the best rifle season to hunt elk?

Trying to come up with a elk/mule deer combo hunt plan for 2012.

OTC unlimited rifle elk tags don't sound very exciting especially if you're in the same unit with a limited draw mule deer tag.

The focus is on a quality mule deer buck however, and if I can toss on an elk rifle tag that would be nice, case I see a big boy, but are the odds of seeing a 300" bull during say the 3rd or 4th deer season near impossible?

perhaps a bow elk/bow mulie hunt would be better/easier to plan especially for quality, but taking a big mulie with a bow seems pretty tough! am I wrong?
Mule Deer :
3rd and 4th Season is usually peak rut for Mule Deer, that is what drives those seasons. The Rut. All deer tags are drawing only. If you can afford it, put in for a preference point this year. Do you have any preference points currently? What unit are you looking to hunt? Have you looked at how many points that unit has taken for a non-resident in the past? Area we hunt takes 6-9 points depending on the season your putting in for, but I would not consider it a trophy area. So be careful you don't look and see that it take 10 points to draw a tag and assume its a trophy area. We had a bad winter kill in the unit a few years back and they have adjusted the number of tags to reflect that. No doe tags for any season and points to draw has gone up each year as tags numbers have gone down.

Archery Hunt will be harder than rifle usually, but not always. Not being in the rut makes them a lot harder to hunt. Then add in success rate of those

Elk
Archery / Muzzloading is during the Rut for Elk. This is my all time favorite season. Listening to a couple different bulls bugling is such a rush to me. LOVE this season.

OTC units generally are not going to produce the HUGE animals, 300 class elk are hard to come by in most of the OTC units. Does this mean you won't find one, no. But you can get lucky. The unit I hunt. Any legal Bull is a trophy. Typical bull is in the 5x5 or 6x6 range. Have I seen some big ones harvested, yes but not a lot of them.

The weather can make an impact on the rifle seasons. Some of the higher elevation units can become real hard to access in 3rd or 4th season if the snow sets in. Or even the early seasons for that matter can be nasty.

Are you doing an outfitter hunt? DIY Hunt, or have someone that has hunted the area your planning to hunt?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been building points, I think I have 5 pts going into this year...

I'm strongly considering trying to hunt mulies in CO in 2012

as of now it would be a DIY.

part of me wants to keep building pts for an awesome unit...

I could try to draw/hunt a 2nd choice unit, which quality would certainly be less but then again a big boy can come from anywhere right? but I'm not sure about just going on any sort of mule deer hunt, but then again a 2nd choice CO mule deer I hear is better than a lot of states 1st choice.

as for the elk, I figured it would just be a buy a tag and perhaps I'd get lucky, but I really don't know.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

If I were you, since you are wanting a "trophy" size bull and have points, I would determine what unit you want to hunt by using the data available on the DOW's website and then set your sights on that unit. Hunt second choice or OTC until you have the points.

I totally understand the want for a "trophy" and there is nothing wrong with that. For me personally, my 1st elk was a 5x5 that I did a Euro mount on and I'm content with the horns I got. I consider every elk a trophy and I'm happy with a cow. I love hunting the muzzleloader season so if I do get a point, I loose it the next year. I also buy a left over cow tag for second rifle.

As far as the weather, it is usually about the same every year during ML / Archary seasons. You won't get pushed out of an area because of 2 feet or more of snow. Last year we had to move our camp and hunt further down the mountain for 2nd rifle because the snow got so deep. 3rd or 4th season can go anyway imaginable, it all depends on the weather. The later you hunt, the more back up plans you will need. It is all weather driven and the weather seems different every year. The saying about the weather in Colorado is "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it will change". Good luck.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I won't really stress about it this year, build some points and figure it out next year, the goal is a big mulie, so I guess that's what I'll try and figure out, and perhaps throw an elk tag in my pocket, I could just see me on a mulie hunt and a 300" + bull steps out and of course I have no tag...

I hear ya on trophies... Cajun, I'm similar...in that for bulls/bucks I want a trophy, I'll take a doe or cow over a dink, personally I'd be happier with a tasty cow over an immature buck/bull, but to each their own. But I am looking for at least a nice representative of both...

I know they had the winter kill a couple years back, I assume tags are down somewhat, if the population rebounds I assume more tags will be available and easier to draw.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never understood the desire for a trophy. In 60 years of hunting i've only hunted for meat.

I get a tag every year for cow elk in the area I want to hunt with no points.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I won't really stress about it this year, build some points and figure it out next year, the goal is a big mulie, so I guess that's what I'll try and figure out, and perhaps throw an elk tag in my pocket, I could just see me on a mulie hunt and a 300" + bull steps out and of course I have no tag...

I hear ya on trophies... Cajun, I'm similar...in that for bulls/bucks I want a trophy, I'll take a doe or cow over a dink, personally I'd be happier with a tasty cow over an immature buck/bull, but to each their own. But I am looking for at least a nice representative of both...

I know they had the winter kill a couple years back, I assume tags are down somewhat, if the population rebounds I assume more tags will be available and easier to draw.
If you decide to go and want a unit you can do OTC Elk and have high probability of drawing a buck tag on second choice so you don't burn your points let me know. PM me and I will give you a few details. Not a trophy unit, but has good access "IF" weather holds out. Have hunted it 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

One last post of a day before season opener.

Opening day of season this is what we woke up to.

Weather can be a bear. And can and does change very rapidly in the fall.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

PM sent Silver wolf.