Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What Do You Do?

Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What Do You Do?

A hypothetical situation.

You're stalking an elk during season. All of a sudden a shot just misses you, and hits a tree next to you. You look off in the direction the shot came from, and see a hunter staring at you.

What do you do?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
keep going the guy obviously can't shoot
RR
Now that's a funny post!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Considering I'd be plainly visible as a human wearing blaze orange during the rifle season the only reason I could think of for a bullet barely missing my head would be someone trying to kill or injure me so I may be forced to take cover and return fire in defense of my life.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Considering I'd be plainly visible as a human wearing blaze orange during the rifle season the only reason I could think of for a bullet barely missing my head would be someone trying to kill or injure me so I may be forced to take cover and return fire in defense of my life.
Very well put!! If he survives the ordeal relieve him of his weapon and walk him out.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I posted this, because on another forum I started to talk about still hunting. Someone said to me that still hunting is dangerous, and I could get shot.

I said i'll be wearing a large blaze orange vest and hat. he said it doesn't matter. Sometimes a tree blocks the orange. I won't tell what I said to him, but it got me to thinking. What would I do if I was shot at?

There are some stupid people out there hunting. Maybe someone from back east think Colorado elk are orange.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Well until it happens to U nobody can really say what they would or will do!!! I can tell U that when my daughter and I came under fire, we were chewin dirt and screamin , quit shooting, there's people up here, hold yer fire...but the fool had buck/ bull fever so bad he didn't know which way was up...when he finally stopped shooting we saw him run in the opposite direction of the elk!!!!
As for shooting back that would do niothing but escalate the situation, and you would most likely end up in jail! with or without a claim of self defense!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I'm thinking I would yell and take cover then assess. If I felt it was intentional, I would probably shoot back. If the guy yells something like, I'm sorry! I didn't see you, then that is a different story and would be handled differently. My gun holds 5 but I keep at least 15 - 20 extra rounds on me just because you never know what can happen in the woods.

I've crested a hill top before on a horse only to see a guy drawn down looking through his scope as I looked at his muzzle because he heard noise and thought it was an elk coming. I was pissed to say the least and I let him know exactly what I thought about his lack of common sense and safety. He didn't say much but appoligized.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I hope I never have to go down that road. That's all I can say.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I posted this, because on another forum I started to talk about still hunting. Someone said to me that still hunting is dangerous, and I could get shot.

I said i'll be wearing a large blaze orange vest and hat. he said it doesn't matter. Sometimes a tree blocks the orange. I won't tell what I said to him, but it got me to thinking. What would I do if I was shot at?

There are some stupid people out there hunting. Maybe someone from back east think Colorado elk are orange.
I guess you can just hope that there aren't many stupid people around like this. I would expect that the farther off the beaten path you would be hunting, the less likely there would be an inexperienced, idiot hunter out there.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dada ling ding ding ding ding ding ding. (music from deliverance) If I heard this music in the backround, my pooper shooter would pucker up and I would high tail it out of there.

There can only be two situations, stupidity or someone is trying to kill you. When you said you look and see a hunter, it's almost a 100% chance it was stupidity. After I cleand out my shorts and spit out the dirt I just ate, I would give the guy an ear full.

I know I wear a ton of orange now. Sometimes I'm in orange from head to toe. And when we back pack out antlers, we cover the heck out of them with orange. I always keep a ton of extra orange in my backpack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.