Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Draw for dummies

Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Spike

Default Big Game Draw for dummies

I've posted a similar question on here before, but- does anyone know of a link or a book that gives a basic introduction to the big game draw process for colorado? I've read up quite a bit on the matter and still am baffled by the complexities of it. It just seems like there has to be a "Colorado Big Game for Dummies" book out there somewhere...
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

the huntin fool, $100/yr, 12 issues.

eastmans hunting journal subscription also covers the topic quite well.

these magazines cover the issue from the non-resident's perspective though, so you may be better off just getting copies of the brochures and reading them quite well a few times. I always found the info they told you in there you'd never ask in the first place, but the detailed info you're unsure of knowing, usually they don't post. I've called states, and while it sounds like an 80yo lady usually answers the phone, she or someone in the office always has the correct answer.

these rules and regs are always changing year to year as well.
deadlines change, etc...

just read up on it and you'll have it figured out.

it's wild how different states can be, some states check your 1st choice, then move onto a new applicant, other states draw all 3-5choices before moving onto a 2nd applicant, knowing this type of info should affect how you apply. ie whether or not you really have a 2nd choice or just 1 choice when applying, no sense in applying for a tag that requires 12pts when you have 9 and will never draw that tag.

if you have any specific questions, ask away...one of us should know.

nowadays you can facebook/friend Colorado fish and game etc....and they should keep you posted on important info, such as drawing deadlines etc...and if you had specific questions could probably post on their page and get the answer easily.

you can facebook other groups too...eastmans, etc..

Last edited by salukipv1; 03-29-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Compose a list of questions, and I bet we can help you out. Don't know of any souce like you are requesting.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Last year, about this time they had put on a seminar in the Colorado Springs office that I went to. It was two hours on nothing but big game hunting and tags. I learned a lot. Like Txhunter said, ask away.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Spike

You can call the Colorado DOW office in Denver and they have people who work there who just answer questions on the big game drawing process.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, here is a link on "how to" apply:

http://vimeo.com/21662805